mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Debug Please improve mIRC Editor - 09/05/05 04:45 PM
Hi,

I think mIRC Editor could have some improves:

1. Text with colors like this one or This one

2. Bold text appears like this

3. Underlined text appears like this

4. (I dont know if its possible) mIRC Editor with "brains". Ex:
you type: if $ni and mIRC selects the identifiers with $ni and you choose or just continue writting.

What do you guys think about this?
Posted By: tidy_trax Re: Please improve mIRC Editor - 09/05/05 04:47 PM
I don't think the editor should interpret control codes as colours/bold/etc as the editor is made for editing things.
Code completion has already been suggested along with many other improvements.
Posted By: SladeKraven Re: Please improve mIRC Editor - 09/05/05 04:59 PM
Isn't this sorta like Syntax Highlighting which has been asked so many times?

-Andy
Posted By: tidy_trax Re: Please improve mIRC Editor - 09/05/05 05:02 PM
Unless I misunderstood the request he wants burco codes to show up as bold, colour, etc in the editor (just like it does in a channel window), so no, it's not the same.
Posted By: Debug Re: Please improve mIRC Editor - 09/05/05 05:05 PM
Quote:
Unless I misunderstood the request he wants burco codes to show up as bold, colour, etc in the editor (just like it does in a channel window), so no, it's not the same.

Yes, thats what I would like.
Posted By: LostServ Re: Please improve mIRC Editor - 09/05/05 06:47 PM
if you could disable it then i wouldnt mind it bein added at all
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Please improve mIRC Editor - 09/05/05 07:17 PM
It could be nice... sometimes, you end up "previewing" your code by displaying it in order to get it to look ok. It could be easier to jus see it while writing the script.

On the other hand, I also want to see code in the current format most of the time. I agree that if it's optional, it would be helpful.

As far as that syntax highlighting idea... I never did like that in C++, VB, various HTML editors, etc.

And code completion would get in my way. I don't have a problem if it's there, but I type faster if I don't have to use code completion.
Posted By: Debug Re: Please improve mIRC Editor - 09/05/05 09:20 PM
Quote:
It could be nice... sometimes, you end up "previewing" your code by displaying it in order to get it to look ok. It could be easier to jus see it while writing the script.

On the other hand, I also want to see code in the current format most of the time. I agree that if it's optional, it would be helpful.

As far as that syntax highlighting idea... I never did like that in C++, VB, various HTML editors, etc.

And code completion would get in my way. I don't have a problem if it's there, but I type faster if I don't have to use code completion.

Indeed.
This would be really nice to use like a "preview", sometimes we are making some alias or remote and there is an error with color, bold, etc and with this option its very easy to find.

PS: Maybe with an option to Turn ON/OFF this option too, who likes use, who doesnt turn off.
Posted By: Mpdreamz Re: Please improve mIRC Editor - 10/05/05 11:43 AM
sorta like this ?

it works awesome in abyss would indeed be nice for mIRC's editor
Posted By: mIRCManiac Re: Please improve mIRC Editor - 10/05/05 12:37 PM
That would cause me to want to run head first into the
nearest brick wall, syntax/error highlighting would be cool
but nothing like your (auto-complete?) capture at all. Unless
of course it could be disabled.

~ Edit ~
As to the original post & processing
control codes, that would suck.
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Please improve mIRC Editor - 10/05/05 12:57 PM
Brick walls sound good when I look at that. laugh
Posted By: Strider Re: Please improve mIRC Editor - 10/05/05 05:48 PM
I agree... but instead I would just start editing my mIRC code in Notepad or Edit.
Posted By: Hrung Re: Please improve mIRC Editor - 10/05/05 08:55 PM
vi forever!

Seriously, I would appreciate syntax highlighting, but running into a brick wall does sound better than that auto complete thing. I could see maybe tab completion, though, for aliases/commands and $identifiers. Might get tricky figuring out what is meant by $identifier($iden<tab>, but challenges are fun. As always, if these things are added, there should be an option to turn them off.
Posted By: Armada Re: Please improve mIRC Editor - 11/05/05 04:45 AM
I think i suggested highlighting awhile back cant remember but I sign onto that part I wouldnt mind seeing tab taken as a tab as well, instead of it changing focus. the completor again wouldnt mind it if I could turn it off, thats generaly the idea for things we dont want lol turn it off and default off lol
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Please improve mIRC Editor - 11/05/05 01:01 PM
I like the idea of TAB working as a TAB... though I have gotten used to hitting the spacebar a lot instead. Only problem is that now my spacebar isn't in very good shape... I think I have to pull it off and clean. smile
Posted By: tidy_trax Re: Please improve mIRC Editor - 11/05/05 05:17 PM
That would be a great feature as long as it can be turned off.
Another nice feature would be the ability to assign the auto complete feature to a certain key combination (like ctrl+space in vb)
Posted By: Debug Re: Please improve mIRC Editor - 11/05/05 11:15 PM
Quote:
That would be a great feature as long as it can be turned off.
Another nice feature would be the ability to assign the auto complete feature to a certain key combination (like ctrl+space in vb)

Indeed, would be really great this features.
© mIRC Discussion Forums