mIRC Homepage
Posted By: coolbaroo Internet Beats - 25/08/04 02:50 PM
Is it possible to place the Internet Beats as a Time Format Option. It like you can alter the time with HH:mm:ss in it's many variations. But if you can place in code for calculating internet Beats, so you only have to type in the time format something like BBB, it would be good to see.
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: Internet Beats - 25/08/04 03:04 PM
Personally I think that internet beats are a worthless marketing ploy by Swatch with no practical function whatsoever. But then again maybe Khaled or a lot of other people feel differently, so who knows?
Posted By: Rounin Re: Internet Beats - 25/08/04 04:02 PM
While Internet Beats are actually unpatentable and obvious (being just 1/1000s of a day instead of 1/1440, which minutes are), they are also supposedly patended, patent offices being what they are. This could mean mIRC would have to defend the implementation in court.
Posted By: Kelder Re: Internet Beats - 26/08/04 06:06 PM
Maybe just a way to have a $identifer called and the result displayed as timestamp.

A beat script should be easy to find or even script yourself (I have one here, just don't use it) so only the result should get into timestamp...
Posted By: nalAAlan Re: Internet Beats - 26/08/04 08:38 PM
internet beats by |CE
Posted By: Wwhat Re: Internet Beats - 28/08/04 05:53 AM
What makes beats fall down is that they apparantly set 000 to 00:00 zurich time, that's silly, greenwich (GMT) has been zero for centuries and to make zurich the center of the world is daft IMHO.

Apart from that on a global medium like IRC it IS handy to arrange meetings using a universal timescale, and I like the concept of making it decimal myself.perhaps, but I agree that scripts will do, although you have a more universal acceptance if you make a mIRC version, and seeing they probably trademarketed the time based on zurich khaled could make a mBEAT based on GMT perhaps :]

it's amusing to see how many peopleon IRC think their local time is universal and the same everywhere BTW .
Posted By: Watchdog Re: Internet Beats - 28/08/04 02:12 PM
I don't see that forcing everyone to use Internet Time automatically makes it universally accepted or even understood. I personally consider it irrelevant because it can only be used in one place and that is on the computer. You won't find Internet Time in the lounge room, on the telly, at the railway station (the trains run late enough as it is), or the post office. You make a valid point about people not always realising that there are people around them not in the same timezone though this can easily be overcome by quoting GMT which everyone can relate to with some quick research, such as Windows time settings which states how far ahead or behind GMT your timezone is, or if you can be sure that all those you are communicating with are in the same country as you then quote the main timezone for the country you are in.
Posted By: PastMaster Re: Internet Beats - 29/08/04 03:07 PM
Quote:
Apart from that on a global medium like IRC it IS handy to arrange meetings using a universal timescale,

We have a universal timescale - it's called Greenwich Mean Time.

PM
© mIRC Discussion Forums