mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Jae Monospace - 20/08/04 01:57 PM
Well i searched al posts for "monospace" and didnt find it.
I just wish for sake or "alignment" with various thigns that require it to be most readable. If when selecting the font type etc. if there was an option for "monospace" as i belive CSS gives a webpage the ability fo use ANY font.. yet keep the spacing all the same as "FixedSys" and other fixed typefaces do.
It should save time looking for other fixed typefaces.

Cheers!
Posted By: Coolkill Re: Monospace - 20/08/04 02:39 PM
Monospacing is an actual "font".
I dont believe it allows any font to use it.

It is only used when alignment is "critical" to ensure all the letters had the same width, which wouldnt be the case in mIRC it would just be a personal preference as there is nothing 'critical' about the width of a font.

If you wanted Monospacing, simply used FixedSys, most other fonts although not monospaced, you dont realistically notice the difference until 'i' and 'w' are typed.

Eamonn.
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: Monospace - 20/08/04 02:46 PM
You can measure the width of fonts (mIRC has a $width identifier for instance). I guess it would be possible for mIRC to emulate fixed-width fonts, possibly by using kerning to force all characters to the same width as the widest character. However I suspect this would be a lot more trouble then it's worth.
Posted By: Coolkill Re: Monospace - 20/08/04 03:02 PM
Yea but theres no critical task that would rely on it wink
Posted By: Jae Re: Monospace - 20/08/04 03:34 PM
I get the feeling you guys completely missed the point. but thanx for ure input anyway.
Posted By: TroyBoy Re: Monospace - 22/08/04 04:51 PM
Yes I agree. Theyve totally missed the point.
I write alot of games scripts which output tables like top10 with statistics in columns etc.
This requires a justified text like fixedsys in order for people in the channel to properly read the table. Not many people are happy about changing their fonts.

Basically, we'd like it to be a grid-like view like a DOS command prompt, so all text is properly aligned. Changing the font size would simply allow more characters per line.
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: Monospace - 22/08/04 05:34 PM
I think you misunderstood what you meant. I know exactly what was meant by the original poster, I never suggested changing font size, I simply proposed one way (changing kerning) that mIRC could force all characters of a variable-width font to be the same width - and thus make them appear as a fixed-width font.
© mIRC Discussion Forums