mIRC Homepage
Posted By: glupfr Web IRC interface emulation - 06/07/04 10:40 AM
Can you emulate a connection throw a web irc interface in the future ?

Some IRC server ban when using MIRC. They want people to use their web interface (because there are ads on the web interface).
Posted By: Mentality Re: Web IRC interface emulation - 06/07/04 12:12 PM
Sorry, but I don't see why mIRC should cater for people who are, quite frankly, silly enough to ban the most popular IRC client.

What's more, it's not for Khaled to interfere with their rules, if they own the network and don't wish people to use mIRC and want them to log on through a website, then it would be wrong for Khaled to deliberately set up something in mIRC that would evade those rules.

Ads are not the only reason some networks (very few) decide to ban mIRC - abuse is another factor, i.e. spam bots/drones and so on.

Regards,
Posted By: tsoglanos Re: Web IRC interface emulation - 06/07/04 12:18 PM
well why not i now alot mIRC help channels the are silly enough to ban pl writen mirc addons/scripts since 1996
before mirc was wat it is today!
Posted By: Mentality Re: Web IRC interface emulation - 06/07/04 01:05 PM
There is nothing wrong with it. If you own an IRC network you can ban whatever and whomever you like from it, that's your choice. It is however, undeniably silly to ban the most popular IRC client if your aim is (as is for most people who run an IRC network) to be popular and/or provide a good chat experience for users.

Banning people from a channel for using a bad script is completely different than banning the entire mIRC client from a network.

I don't think this needs to be a thread that turns into a discussion about the rights and wrongs of it, we've had one already, use the search feature.

I don't think mIRC should have this feature incorporated.

Regards,
Posted By: Coolkill Re: Web IRC interface emulation - 06/07/04 09:29 PM
Are you talking about a server that is completed coded by the person running the website, and as a result prevents anything but his applet from connecting?

or, are you talking about a widely avaliable package such as Unreal or Bahamut running on it..

If you are talking about the first option, then it would be highly unlikely this could be encorporated since mIRC would have to interface with some sort of applet which could easily prevent it doing so anyway.

And the second option, then more than likely the network is sending a VERSION/FINGER request to identify your client software or the server is setup to allow only a specific port to be connected to, not default (6667-6669,7000) or, the server is checking for a specific gcos,identd - in which case all the above can be "changed" to make it seem like mIRC is connecting from the applet..

HOWEVER, You more than likely would be able to find help in evading this "ban" they have set since it is their wishes regardless if its a good one or not.

Eamonn.
Posted By: tsoglanos Re: Web IRC interface emulation - 07/07/04 12:21 PM
Are you talking to me? he!!?
Posted By: zaz Re: Web IRC interface emulation - 08/07/04 12:49 AM
Banning scripts is still very common. Ban mostly by a common identd that's set up by default by the client. The bans come in place not because they simply use a script but because the script advertises and disrupts the channel. Quit messages and "version notices" can get quite excessive from these scripts. Sure, they might look cool to the author, but not to everyone else.

As to the original question, I don't see why it couldn't be done, but also don't see why anyone here would have an interest in helping you circumvent the security of any given IRC server. We might not agree with their reasons, but we don't have to, it's their server and they have the right to refuse our connections for ANY reason they can come up with.
© mIRC Discussion Forums