mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Julepils Bizzare Suggestion - 13/04/04 03:20 AM
Hi guys,

How about a webcam-feature in a future mIRC version? wink

Mostregards,
Julepils 'aka' Øyvind N.
www.julepils.com
Posted By: Mentality Re: Bizzare Suggestion - 13/04/04 03:34 AM
This has been suggested before, quite a few times. One such is here and another here.

I don't have anything hugely against it, but I think it would get annoying...people requesting webcam chats when you don't have a webcam, and sadly (and this isn't specific to mIRC/IRC), having opped in kid channels before, I know how this can be abused in a perverse way.

I also do think it detracts from the whole idea of "text chatting", and is a novelty feature more than anything, perhaps even tacky.

Regards,
Posted By: Soul_Eater Re: Bizzare Suggestion - 13/04/04 05:48 AM
this could be scripted. or DLLed. (i know mentality i know im just saying...)
Posted By: Mentality Re: Bizzare Suggestion - 13/04/04 05:51 AM
Pffftttt, I don't bite...*hides teeth*

Actually, both the threads I linked to contain further links to webcam "Addons" and in the second mentioned thread it mentioned two DLLs for voice/webcam chat wink (Although the ms.org one seems defunct now, the ID= doesn't relate to what it used to).

Regards,
Posted By: tidy_trax Re: Bizzare Suggestion - 13/04/04 09:53 AM
it's fine to suggest a scripted workaround or tell them it's possible to script it, as long as you are not using this as a reason not to get it implemented wink
Posted By: Rounin Re: Bizzare Suggestion - 13/04/04 12:14 PM
I guess it could be added as a CTCP command? That way clients without webcam support could just ignore it.

It seems a bit odd to extend the IRC protocol in this way though. Might as well add voice chat to the webcam chat while you're at it. No seriously. What's the name of that voice codec again. Speex?
Posted By: tidy_trax Re: Bizzare Suggestion - 13/04/04 12:16 PM
Quote:
It seems a bit odd to extend the IRC protocol in this way though.

i'd say it would more likely be added to DCC
© mIRC Discussion Forums