mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Kraken mIRC windows only in tray when active - 28/02/04 05:14 PM
I think an option to make mIRC windows only present in tray when it's not minimized (nothing in the taskbar) would be useful and quite easy to do smile
I'm not the only one looking for it but I haven't seen a solution:
Previous post

Thanks...
Posted By: SickRick Re: mIRC windows only in tray when active - 28/02/04 11:32 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if Windows just had this ability built into it? You can download applications that do it though.

I know I'd like to never see AIM or Foobar2000 or mIRC on my taskbar either... they're things that are open all the time and stay that way, so they should be on the tray, where they sit and don't move, because that's what they should be doing, now for windows that I DO need to switch around like the separate AIM conversation windows, and separate pages in browsers (still stuck on IE... waiting for tabs here!), and stuff like that is what the taskbar should be for.

Maybe Microsoft will catch on to this one day.
Posted By: DaveC Re: mIRC windows only in tray when active - 29/02/04 12:39 AM
your moaning at microsoft when its not them but the aplication developers (ok MS might be one of them aas well) that havent added it in, any window can be removed or shown in the taskbar, its simply a matter of the aplication setting the properties correctly for the effect thats wanted.
in all actuality no window is "placed" into the tray. the tray is nothing more than a toolbar just like the ones on a window or dialog. An application adds a button to the toolbar and when clicked (as well as other events) sends a message to the windows procedure.

Just because theres an icon in the tray does not mean alot fo resources are being used nor does it mean the application has _any_ windows at all. The only requirenment is that a process has been started (note a worker thread can also create an icon but has to be started from a process)

mIRC could add support to place windows into the tray but it could become very thick very fast. Imagine being in 10 channels all minimized except for the 10th one. I wouldnt want 9 icons in my tray.

The ability to add an icon to a hidden process (appears as tho its in the tray) can be valuable. Sometimes i minimize mIRC when im working in VS and I have alot of applications open. Even with button grouping the taskbar can become full quick. At least thats one more application not taking up real estate on my taskbar smile
Posted By: SickRick Re: mIRC windows only in tray when active - 29/02/04 04:50 AM
Yeah DaveC but it's such a small feature, to just "minimize to tray", that Microsoft could have included it ages ago. I shouldn't need a special app to be able to manipulate all my applications like this. It should be built-in.
Posted By: DaveC Re: mIRC windows only in tray when active - 01/03/04 11:21 PM
Quote:
in all actuality no window is "placed" into the tray

pfffft you knew what i ment, of course you cant actually put the window IN the tray, only represent it n the tray in some way etc etc.

oh PS, what do i read later in your reply but....

Quote:
mIRC could add support to place windows into the tray

but you said..... <snicker snicker>
i had no intention of starting a pissing contest with you. Some people may have actually thought that applications were actually placed in the tray. any other usage later in the post was accidental. ive learned my lesson thanks
Posted By: saxon Re: mIRC windows only in tray when active - 02/03/04 04:34 AM
Quote:
Yeah DaveC but it's such a small feature, to just "minimize to tray", that Microsoft could have included it ages ago. I shouldn't need a special app to be able to manipulate all my applications like this. It should be built-in.

You are right, that would be a handly little feature for windows to have in-built.
Posted By: DaveC Re: mIRC windows only in tray when active - 02/03/04 04:45 AM
my reply to you was ment in jest, i just couldnt resist when i saw you uses the same phasing that you correctly pointed out didnt happen as such. :-)
i figured as much. it wasnt until after i posteed that i realized i shouldnt have used such strong words. i figured o well ill leave it lol. its like 50 am or something here and i cant type anyway. i wasnt trying to be mean tho honestly smile
© mIRC Discussion Forums