mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Gazdaman Coders MIRC version - 12/02/04 03:15 PM
I like mirc code, and I've learnt to use it fairly well, but I'd like just a really stripped down .exe without all the actual irc functions, just the ability to interpret the code...

has anyone else thought of this? thought it's a good idea?

Gaz
Posted By: fxmakers Re: Coders MIRC version - 12/02/04 03:24 PM
Just an interpreter executable as Perl, PHP, TCL etc...
well, why not... but it has been created to use with mIRC.
I don't know how you're going to implement an ON TEXT event without mIRC...
Remember Khaled's aim is to create an IRC client, scripts are a "plus".
Anyway mIRC script language is similar to the 3 others so you could use one of thoose.
I'm sure mIRC will be open source in a future, and your mIRC's interpreter will exists grin
Posted By: PastMaster Re: Coders MIRC version - 13/02/04 07:17 AM
Quote:
I'm sure mIRC will be open source in a future

I'm not sure, and I sincerely hope that this will never be the case. Can you imagine the number of hacked, dangerous/infected executables masquerading as the "original" mIRC that would result from doing this? Or the number of lame scripts pretending to be new clients (which would in turn make a forum like this almost unmanageable)?

It's bad enough already, but going open source would be a catastrophe, if not criminally irresponsible. (Yes I know that "social responsibility" is not in fashion right now, but still...)

Besides which, anyone with the programming skills can write their own IRC client anyway. It's not like mIRC is the *only* Windows chat client...

PM
Posted By: saxon Re: Coders MIRC version - 13/02/04 11:41 AM
Quote:
Besides which, anyone with the programming skills can write their own IRC client anyway. It's not like mIRC is the *only* Windows chat client...

Yes, However mIRC does have a unique scripting language, And it is the *only* chat client to have that. With access to the source, Advanced users could maybe gain more insight into how the scripting engine works... Expand it a litte?

mIRC could be developed for other Operating Systems, And long after Khaled quits development mIRC's growth would continue, Thanks to open source.

There are advantages to open source. But the time for it isn't now.
Posted By: Jae Re: Coders MIRC version - 15/02/04 02:47 PM
Im not sure bout the whole open source thing..
but one thing though. it would be greast to be able to script the toolbars and so on easily through mirc itself
Posted By: Stealth Re: Coders MIRC version - 20/02/04 07:25 AM
I think a script interpriter that reads mIRC script is a great idea. I myself can actually use one for all the useless programs I make. It is much easier for me to just script it oposed to using VB or C++ to make it.

The only problem is: it is a great idea, but Khaled has staed numerous times that he wont release the source, or make another "version" of mIRC. So don't count on one ever being made.
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: Coders MIRC version - 20/02/04 10:52 AM
Well remember Khaled isn't the only person who is allowed to write a parser for the language. But still, half the language would have no meaning outside of IRC, and the syntax itself (typeless, unquoted strings, etc.) doesn't lend itself to many programming tasks. Just because you don't use mIRC script doesn't mean you have to use a language like VB or C++, There are other, simpler languages such as PHP, Python, and Ruby which can do the things you want.
Posted By: ELY_M Re: Coders MIRC version - 20/02/04 02:12 PM
I think mIRC should be open source.

look at linux which is open source and there is less problems.

anything that are closed source have more problems like windows and any programs that is closed source.

I love my open source firewall and it protect me good laugh
I hate other commerical closed source firewall softwares.

Posted By: Narusegawa_Naru Re: Coders MIRC version - 20/02/04 03:18 PM
im afraid ill have to disagree. not everything open source is always better. in the case of mirc i can definately see alot of builds with "less than honorable" purposes being passed as an authentic build.

next the issue of multiple developers. in some cases this can be good especially when the developers collaborate on the project but when they dont problems can arise. you download a build from someone whos only marginal and the build has more problems than the original one.

As a developer I would definately like to take a peek inside mIRC myself however i would never use any build that didnt come from khaled.
Posted By: Mavric Re: Coders MIRC version - 20/02/04 09:08 PM
It is funny how you say that the mIRC scripting language should just be stripped from the client and created into its own language, but yet, why do this? This scripting engine itself is engineered towards pure IRC use. This would kinda be like taking the apache scripting engine and making it compatible with all programs, do you catch my drift?

This might not be what you guys are talking about, but just reading the replies its the first thing that came to my miind.

I don't think that mIRC will ever be open-source, there would be too much controversy from people that have already bought licenses and so forth...

But anyways, signing off...
Posted By: couresel Re: Coders MIRC version - 21/02/04 02:09 AM
I suggested something similar to this also. I started a post a few weeks ago with referrence to a version of mirc meant just for usage as bots. No gui, just the process running in the background as do eggdrops with the ability to use most to all the commands as mirc version 6.12

I can't really imagine the mirc language expanding beyond it's use for IRC, however it's very possible. However many people do use the program to run 'bots' and I believe a version much to the ressemblence of eggdrops with similar reliabilty and much more easily scripted would prove to be very popular among coders and very helpful to members of the irc community.

P.S. If you support this idea, post your thoughts here grin
Posted By: Watchdog Re: Coders MIRC version - 21/02/04 06:04 AM
look at linux which is open source and there is less problems.

You mean 'fewer' problems? While I am at it, your grammar is not the only thing that requires attention. Linux = fewer problems because Linux has a smaller following. If you were the author of a virus, EG: a DDoS trojan, are you going to want to infect 5% of the computers in the world or 90%? Hackers and virus authors arn't stupid, they just lack respect for the privacy of others. They do have an idea of what efficiency and productivity is like and aiming to infect 90% of computers is going to provide a bigger 'bang' on D Day.

If mIRC went open source I would stop using it.
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: Coders MIRC version - 21/02/04 11:35 AM
Quote:
You mean 'fewer' problems? While I am at it, your grammar is not the only thing that requires attention. Linux = fewer problems because Linux has a smaller following. If you were the author of a virus, EG: a DDoS trojan, are you going to want to infect 5% of the computers in the world or 90%? Hackers and virus authors arn't stupid, they just lack respect for the privacy of others. They do have an idea of what efficiency and productivity is like and aiming to infect 90% of computers is going to provide a bigger 'bang' on D Day.

- Actually if anything OSes like UNIX should be getting more attacks than Windows since the entire backbone of the internet is built around computers using it; a smart troublemaker goes for the moneyshot rather than the large number of people with no 'power' - with the exception of DDoS of course. And BTW, 90% vs 5%? I think your numbers need some revising.

Not that it really matters, this thread would be a whole lot better if it could keep from becoming an all out OS-bitchfest.

Quote:
If mIRC went open source I would stop using it.

- That has absolutely no logic to it whatsoever. Being open source wouldn't change what mIRC is, it just means that it's possible for other people to submit code which may or may not be approved to be used, and depending on the licence, could allow other people to release their own versions. I'm not saying I think mIRC should be open source, I'm just saying that your comment makes no sense.
© mIRC Discussion Forums