mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Hrung password pretection with $compress - 22/01/04 09:50 PM
Forgive me if someone has already mentioned this, but i couldn't find it. Basically, I am asking for the ability to password protect $compress'd files, as can be done with most file compression formats. I don't know if zlib already supports this, so if it is too much trouble to add, I won't push it.
Posted By: madewokherd Re: password pretection with $compress - 23/01/04 12:48 PM
One of the problems with the open-ness of mIRC scripting is that, well, anything your script can do can be done by any other script (thus, anyone with access to your computer/files). So any sort of protection that you can script would be inadequite, with the exception of hashing passwords, which can only be done by the one accepting the password.
Posted By: Olathe Re: password pretection with $compress - 25/01/04 05:59 AM
You are assuming that the password would be stored, which wouldn't necessarily be the case. For instance, WinZip does not store the password used to encrypt a file.
Posted By: madewokherd Re: password pretection with $compress - 25/01/04 01:35 PM
I was assuming that he was using the password to authenticate to a remote host that required it to be sent in ascii. I didn't realize data could be compressed with a password.
© mIRC Discussion Forums