mIRC Homepage
Posted By: MTecknology Legality - 11/08/03 02:26 PM
I was wondering if scripts and bots are okayd by IRC Servers or if it's just how they are used. If this is different for some servers, I am on DALnet.
Posted By: sparta Re: Legality - 11/08/03 02:44 PM
If you type in your status window "/motd" then read the text you see there, then it shurley tells you if you are allowed to use bots or not.. and for script, no one can say you cant use them, they maybe can say somthing if you using a script to abuse channels or users "flood clones or other scripts made for flood people out from irc".. i hope i understod your question right smirk
Posted By: codemastr Re: Legality - 11/08/03 03:06 PM
Sure they can say you can't use them, several scripts are banned on DALnet.

Basically, if you want a script that is not banned make sure it is a script that is trusted. I personally don't recomment full-scripts, but if you really want one the one that is probably most "approved" would be Peace and Protection. http://www.scriptheaven.net/article172.html But like I said, if you can avoid using a full script, then you probably should.
Posted By: sparta Re: Legality - 11/08/03 03:08 PM
dont say that!! i making a full script right now! and i hope im trusted and that my script will be crazy wink :tongue:
Posted By: LocutusofBorg Re: Legality - 11/08/03 05:23 PM
Fact is, just about every full script out there either has backdoors, it has horrible and pointless replacers that use stupid letters and colors that might clash with a user's personal settings, and virtually all of em spam the crap out of users on every occasion. In general, they suck. With a few exceptions like PnP. Never tried it tho, and I'm sure it has kazillions of options you don't need.
Posted By: Watchdog Re: Legality - 11/08/03 06:44 PM
It is possible that in time people will trust it providing that you are honest and ethical from DAY 1. The slightest suspicion of a backdoor and people will say no. I have a script that is used and trusted by thousands, though largely confined to the network I use because the script is designed specifically for CR powered networks though has been known to work well on many other IRCds. However I can't recommend my script at the moment because I have discontinued it until I do a makeover on it.

As for PnP, I tried it once. It's not bad though I found the install routine a bit slow. Having said that I believe it is trustworthy enough to recommend.
Posted By: KingTomato Re: Legality - 11/08/03 07:29 PM
Fact is, just about every full script out there either has backdoors

How tru. Did a voris/trojan scan on NoName, and scoop, and few tohers. lol, the programs like "port-f****, mario (fake emulator) and other .exe's int he scrtips are all backdoors. They give the otuward appearance of a game, but mess your computer up as you play.

....sad
Posted By: sparta Re: Legality - 11/08/03 07:32 PM
My script dont have any backdoors.. thats why i write my own, 1: cant find any good script i like.. 2: i want to be shure im not backdoored.. 3: i have op status in a fev "wanted" channels on ircnet, so i cant trust a script i DL from the webb.. the same dude that made it maybe want our channels.. its sad, but thats the way life is on irc now mad
Posted By: Watchdog Re: Legality - 11/08/03 08:34 PM
HAHA, good old Scoop Script, and the author of that has the hide to charge a rego fee for it too. Ya can't even get owned without paying these days.
Posted By: sparta Re: Legality - 11/08/03 08:47 PM
I think i saw a pacth for that script on som site befor.. som one that didnt like he wanted $ for the script.. and he had the comment on hes patch.. "i made this cos Khaled is the only one that should get a buck out from mirc" or somthing like that.. dunno remember where it was tho, but that script = uggly and messy grin
© mIRC Discussion Forums