Posted By: doctorjohn stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 09:02 AM
is there a script i could use that would
check and kick non-profiles?
Posted By: SladeKraven Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 09:04 AM
For MSN?
Posted By: doctorjohn Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 09:05 AM
Sorry, yes, msn...
Posted By: SladeKraven Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 09:13 AM
I am sure there is, however no one will help you. MSN doesn't allow users from mIRC, I am sorry but I wont help you and I don't think anyone else will either. Read this post Why we wont help.
Posted By: doctorjohn Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 09:15 AM
I understand. Thank you for your fast reply.
Posted By: pheonix Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 03:26 PM

Please, don't help or encourage users to break network policies. If you choose to connect to a server, you should be prepared to follow its policies.

Posted By: SladeKraven Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 03:47 PM
I see.
Posted By: pheonix Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 04:11 PM
......?
i wouldnt help people connect to msn, but considering hes already on there, why not help him?
Posted By: KingTomato Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 06:14 PM
I didn't help the thief break in, but since he's already there, why not help him load the truck?

*sigh* Ignorance != Bliss
Posted By: pheonix Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 06:21 PM
always finding a way to make it sound bad frown
Posted By: KingTomato Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 06:24 PM
It wouldn't have to happen if you would stop trying to rationalize why you helping break the rules really isn't breaking the rules..
Posted By: pheonix Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 06:26 PM
how am i helping him break any rule?
Posted By: codemastr Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 06:35 PM
It's easy to make something sound bad when it IS bad.
Posted By: root Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 06:42 PM
It really isn't that bad though. It's not the end of the world, don't get yoru blood pressure up, it's just someone whos willing to help. Even though its breaking your almighty rules.
Posted By: KingTomato Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 06:43 PM
Quote:
how am i helping him break any rule?

A) They are on MSN
B) Your helping them with problems faced with on MSN
C) Your not discouraging them from being on MSN

Need more?
Posted By: root Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 06:44 PM
Quote:
C) Your not discouraging them from being on MSN

mIRC isnt everything on the internet
Posted By: pheonix Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 06:47 PM
problems on msn, not helping them connect,msn said mirc isnt allowed on msn, not you cant help people who disobey that rule :tongue:
Posted By: KingTomato Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 06:48 PM
Excuse me? MSN has a policy that disallows users from using mIRC (or any facsimile) other than its personal client on its servers. By helping a person solve a problem so they can continue to use mIRC on MSN is (IMO) helping them break a law. Now what does "mIRC isnt everything on the internet" have to do with that?
Posted By: codemastr Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 06:55 PM
Yes, and if some walks into a building, and shoot 50 people it's also not the end of the world. Are you going to tell me that we should just say "well it's not the end of the world, only 50 people are dead", oh but wait now you're just gonna say "that example makes no sense" or "that example makes it look bad even though it isn't" or something dumb like that. Breaking rules/laws is the same no matter which one you are breaking, it is STILL wrong. If you can't see that, well then tomorrow when you go to school ask your kindergarten teacher to explain to you what the difference between right and wrong is.
Posted By: root Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 06:59 PM
Killing 50 people is a good and bad example
Its good cuz your relating it to this
its bad because your comparing a law thats minute to a crime that is an extreme and obviously the punishment is a little more severe then this. Again, youre not obliged to help this guy who is asking the question, but if someone does help him then he shouldnt be punished for it. It is a help forum, and if you are limiting this forum to mIRC, then you should delete every other post that doesnt in some way have to do with mIRC.

again, just a thought
Posted By: pheonix Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 07:04 PM
also, even though msn doesnt allow mirc its still related to mirc because thyre using mirc to connect
Posted By: codemastr Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 07:07 PM
Ok well then if someone comes here and says "Hi, I'm considering killing my boss. The guy is really getting on my nerves, anyone have any suggestions on a good way to kill him? I want to kill him but make it look like a suicide so I don't get caught, any ideas?"

People should be allowed to help him? In the US we call that "accessory to murder" not "helpful advice"

And, as I explained in another post, Microsoft could, if they wanted to, claim that him providing that help is a crime since it does violate the DMCA.

At the current time, the law saying that using mIRC on MSN is not allowed, if you don't like that the proper action is to write to your elected officials, not decide to break the law and then proclaim that the law is stupid.
Posted By: codemastr Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 07:08 PM
Ok then, "Hi, I need to write a script that will let me launch a DoS attack, can anyone help me?" that relates to mIRC just as much as connecting to MSN does. So just because it related to mIRC means that guy should be helped?
Posted By: pheonix Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 07:11 PM
yet again, a stupid example, is connecting to msn harmful? nope.
the boss even admits its not. he just doesnt want it on there. is a dos attack harmful? yes,
did you give a bad example? yes.
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 07:12 PM
pheonix - The guy asked for help, he was told that people wouldn't help him with it here because MSN doesn't want people using it's servers with mIRC and it's against the 'policy' of the forum. The poster accepted that, why can't you? Every other post you make is about MSN, whether the thread actually had anything to do with it or not, you just bring it up. For God's sake just get over MSN, it's always been a crap network anyway.

General post - Nobody cares about the thread anymore. It died happily after 2 replies and yet people just keep robbing the grave for every last post they can. Just let it go.
Posted By: pheonix Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 07:13 PM
he accepted it, but that doesnt mean he would rather not have an answer that helps him.
Posted By: codemastr Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 07:15 PM
Who says that a guy killing his boss is harmful? I never said that. For all you know the boss is a pedophile and rapist. You're making a blanket statement that you can't back up. Again I say, go talk to your kindergarten teacher.
Posted By: pheonix Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 07:18 PM
your post:
Ok then, "Hi, I need to write a script that will let me launch a DoS attack, can anyone help me?" that relates to mIRC just as much as connecting to MSN does. So just because it related to mIRC means that guy should be helped?

i dont even see anything about killing a boss in there :tongue:
Posted By: codemastr Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 07:21 PM
Well when you don't reference anything I said, how am I to know what post you are replying to? And anyway I have no idea who this "boss" you speak of is, and therefore I'll assume he exists in your mind only. If Microsoft (and they are the ones who matter) felt that mIRC on MSN was not harmful, then they'd allow mIRC. You say it's not harmful, I say yes it is. mIRC scripts are MUCH more intensive on a server than an MSN client. You can make a timer that does a /who every 5 seconds, that causes harm (lag and bandwidth usage) for example. Just because YOU don't see something being harmful doesn't mean you're right.
Posted By: pheonix Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 07:26 PM
without mirc, msn would have a lot,lot more spam, there are only the odd 1 or 2 lamers(that ive seen) who tend to flood.
the "boss" isnt exactly a boss but one of the admins and i call him "boss" coz he does better than the other admins at keeping order.
Posted By: codemastr Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 07:27 PM
*sigh* talking to you is like talking to a (stupid) wall. No matter how hard I scream, I just can't get past the fact that you have no intelligence.
Posted By: pheonix Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 07:29 PM
ive got an idea, <yet another moderator edit of your posts>and accept the fact that if i shouldn't be helping this person then my 1st post would of been deleted/moderated.
i have no problem shutting up if a mod wants me to, but when you ask me to ill just do it more, just to annoy you because your <moderator ditto>,if you want me to do something then ask politely.
Posted By: codemastr Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 07:34 PM
Quote:
but when you ask me to ill just do it more, just to annoy you because your so stupid and ignorant,if you want me to do something then ask politely.

Lol, spoken like a true child. Ok I'll ask you politely, "Would you please leave these forums and never come back, thank you."
Posted By: pheonix Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 07:36 PM
spoken like a true child to a true child,you could of easily just ignored this thread, but no,codemastr has to wind me up again.
didnt say i would do it.
Posted By: KingTomato Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 07:45 PM
Speaking of deleting it if it werent neccisary...

That may infact be deleted, and can almost bet this whole thread will be locked on account of pointless arguing but there is not a moderator on 24.7 to delete every post as it happens. Ever think maybe Para, Hammer, d00dman, etc could be not ont he forums every waking hour of the day constantly clicking refresh so they can make a pointless (adn untested) post/remark such as urself?
Posted By: pheonix Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 07:47 PM
well im sure they dont reply to every thread they come across, so i doubt it would take forever to read the new posts, come across this one and then make the changes.
also: i get flamed for posting untested code, then i get flamed for posting working tested code just because its for msn,would not helping this person stop him using msn? i highly doubt it,it would just make him use it more whilst looking for answers, so helping him makes no changes to him using msn, accept helping him keep non-profiles out.
what harm has it done to you, or any of the other posters? nothing.
what harm has it done to the original poster, nothing, it helped him(if he reads this thread again at all.)
Posted By: d00dman Re: stop non-profiles - 06/08/03 07:53 PM
Its not that we're actively trying to stop people from using mIRC with MSN, or that we're trying to enforce MSN's policies in any way. But, we also aren't promoting or condoning it. I hope you can appreciate the difference.

-chris
© mIRC Discussion Forums