mIRC Homepage
Hey, I'm new here and don't know much at all about scripting. Basically I'm looking to make a bot that idles in a channel, and at random intervals will say a random quote (picked from a list of maybe 100 or so quotes). How do I go about doing this?
Put the following in your remotes (Alt+R)

Code:
alias quotes {
  msg #mychannel $read(quotes.txt)
  .timer 1 $rand(60,360) quotes
}

Every 60-360 seconds it reads from quotes.txt (create the file in your $mircdir) and msgs it to #mychannel

Type /quotes to start it.

* edit: renamed to /quotes
Just a little note since "quote" is already a mIRC command, could be a good idea to change your alias to "quotes"
Please provide the source for your statement of
Quote:
"quote" is already a mIRC command
since I am unable to find the command in any of my reference material.

Could you be confusing quote with $qt(), which puts quotes around text so that it includes spaces, namely in file and directory names?
I don't have any source, just my knowledge.
It's not because you don't know the command/don't have it referenced somewhere that it doesn't exists, especially in mIRC.
A simple /quote in mirc or /quote bla would provide you a proof.
You might want to try /help /raw as well smile

Edit : and of course I'm not confusing with $qt
You're right.
/quote sends commands directly to the server i think.
It appears to do so, like /raw

I have appended my resource materials to include this command.
Originally Posted By: vexed2
/quote sends commands directly to the server i think.

No, QUOTES Unknown command
The command being referenced is /quote not /quotes
Note the s on the end of the command that gave you the error message.
Yes but the argv[0] gives that code with s

check here
You're missing something.
argv0 named is alias 'quote' and since /quote is a mirc command, I've told him it could be nice to change it to 'quotes'.
At least you understand lol
At least ? Do you mean I have another problem ?
Testing it out, it doesn't seem to work. I get the message * /msg: insufficient parameters (line 2, remote.ini) when I try to activate it. I have my quotes.txt file saved in C:\Program Files\mIRC. Is that the right spot, or no?
You can include the exact location of the file, in this case replace quotes.txt in the script with "C:\Program Files\mIRC\quotes.txt"

Note: The "" around the directory and filename are required, due to the space in the directory name Program Files

Another alternative is to place the file in the location returned from the command //echo -a $mircdir
© mIRC Discussion Forums