mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Parkhead A complete novice needs help - 25/02/08 02:19 AM
Allow me explain what I'm after and then you good people of this community can decide whether or not you want to help me.

I have mirc running practically 24 hours a day, well whenever I'm sat at the computer anyway but very often the window is closed down to the taskbar while I'm working on other things so I invariably miss messages when people are trying to get hold of me. I've heard it's possible to have an alert whenever your nickname is used within a channel or even channels if you're running more than one at a time but I don't know how to set this up. The other problem I have is that I can only operate anything on the computer using voice recognition software because I'm paralysed from the neck down. I think this would probably prevent me from writing my own scripts even if I knew how to do it because I wouldn't be able to instruct the voice software sufficiently competently to do it.

Is there any kind soul out there who could come up with such a script so that I could just copy and paste it into mirc. Because I really don't know what I'm doing you would need to give me instructions on where to put it in order to make it run. I realise this is a really big ask but I'm hoping that someone will fancy taking on the challenge and helping me to get this feature into my mirc.

I will thank you now for any help and assistance you can afford me. regards, Parkhead (required nickname)
Posted By: jakerandall Re: A complete novice needs help - 25/02/08 02:42 AM
Ok i understand what you mean, i just made a 2 simple scripts for you.
Code:
on *:OPEN:?:*:{ .timer $+ $cid $+ $nick 1 480 msg $nick Hi  $nick $+ , It looks like I haven't replied to you yet, I might be slightly busy or just away, Please continue to wait patiently for me to come back }
on *:INPUT:?:{ .timer $+ $cid $+ $active off }

This one basically, when they message it sends them It looks like I haven't replied to you yet, I might be slightly busy or just away, Please continue to wait patiently for me to come back after 480 seconds.

The second script i have made for you is the script you requested
Code:
on *:text:YOURNICKNAMEHERE:#: {
  notice $nick I Have Been Notified That You Mentioned My Nick In $chan
  msg YOURNICKNAMEHERE $nick has messaged you
}

basically when ever somebody says your nickname is any channel it tells them you have been notified of them trying to contact u. Then will send a message to yourself saying who has pmed you.

There is a way to make it better where it says YOURNICKHERE add your current nickname, if anybody could give me the command of the actual thing where if ur nick changes it will do it on the script something like $me. Anyway there you go.
Posted By: Kol Re: A complete novice needs help - 25/02/08 12:59 PM
Here is something that will send up a little notice ($tip) if mIRC isn't your active application:

Code:
on *:TEXT:$($+(*,$me,*)):#: { if (!$appactive) { noop $tip(Highlighted,Highlighted in #,$+([,$nick,]) $1-,,,,window -a #,) } }

Note: It's untested so sorry if it doesn't work
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: A complete novice needs help - 25/02/08 01:13 PM
Your matchtext is an exact match of the nick, so that wouldn't trigger if the nick is somewhere else in the text. You should use *'s around it if you're going to do it that way.

I think the tip method is best. In addition to that, you can use mIRC's highlight feature (Alt-B in the Address Book). There, you can add $me as the nick and play a sound if you choose for whenever your nick is used.
Posted By: Parkhead Re: A complete novice needs help - 27/02/08 05:03 AM
Guys I thought I would let you know that I went with the tip option as it seemed the easiest to implement for me and I have to say it is working ideally. I would never have discovered this without your help so I want to thank all of you who took the trouble to respond to my plea for assistance, I really am most grateful to you and appreciate you taking the time.

Regards, a very grateful Newbie PH.
© mIRC Discussion Forums