mIRC Homepage
Posted By: EOF :( make mirc detect name change - 18/02/06 02:12 AM
i'm trying to make a bot the logs info like wordcoutn and stuff liek that, but the problem is that when the person changes their name, it gets messed up. is there anyway in mirc script to detect if a nick changes and detect what it chagnes to?
Posted By: FiberOPtics Re: :( make mirc detect name change - 18/02/06 02:13 AM
/help on nick

old nick: $nick
new nick: $newnick
Posted By: DaveC Re: :( make mirc detect name change - 18/02/06 06:54 AM
you might want to consider using $address to identify the $nick to the table, because assuming someoens called FRED and someones called BARNEY, then BARNEY changes to DINO, then FRED changes to BARNEY, what do u do now, erase the old BARNEY data replacing it with FREDS? what if he renames back, then DINO Leaves, then BARNEY (was DINO) returns to the channel, hes like a new user.
Posted By: NeUtRoN_StaR Re: :( make mirc detect name change - 18/02/06 08:29 AM
kudos on the flintstones ref
Posted By: BlueGhost Re: :( make mirc detect name change - 18/02/06 11:46 PM
I encountered this problem too in one of my channels.
Luckily people logged into the bot to access certain of its features, so it was easy to assign everyone a default nickname (their login), and then use that as a variable name, and assigning their current nick to that.
So:
%loginname current-nickname
From there it's a breeze keeping that info up to date.

Unfortunately, without that login your stats will most likely be misrepresented; what happens if someone with an identical nick to someone else enters (the first person being offline ofcourse) and the stats can't tell the difference ?

A login is the best way to go, I think.
Posted By: EOF Re: :( make mirc detect name change - 19/02/06 09:35 PM
$address, i hate the $Nick variable.... address is far supiorior... and how would i do a login system?
© mIRC Discussion Forums