mIRC Homepage
Posted By: slaton foreign connection problems - 10/01/03 05:23 AM
Imma IRC newb so bare with me. I am able to connect to the GamesNET East server in the US fine, but when I try to connect to a foreign server such as the Moscow one it wont let me. It just keeps saying "Connection Timed out" as if I wasnt even connected to the internet. But not every foreign server doesnt work. I can get London and other countries. I have a hardware firewall (linksys router) but I have turned it off as much as possible through internet explorer. All my IRC settings are default to. And IRC is registered incase that matters at all.

Thanks a bunch in advance guys!!!!,
~S

BTW--forgot to mention I was at my friends house and he was able to connect to irc.msu.ru (6667) fine. Is it possible that the site has gone down?
Posted By: Watchdog Re: foreign connection problems - 10/01/03 05:26 AM
The server might be offline or perhaps it only accepts close connections, as many do. While you are on the US or UK server type /list and check if the RU server is there in the list. This will at least tell you that it's online.
Posted By: slaton Re: foreign connection problems - 11/01/03 05:50 AM
Ok i was just at my neighbors house and he got on the moscow server fine. Im wondering if maybe I dont have a certain number right or check box checked. If I re-install IRC will I have to re-register it?
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: foreign connection problems - 11/01/03 10:00 AM
Be sure you are trying to connect exactly as your neighbor did (you may be making a typo or not have the server info correct) Also check to see what port he is connecting to it on.

It may help to increase your try time. File/options/connect/options and click on the RETRY button. Increase the time in the box beside "IfNot Connected In" just a little bit.

Your registration for mIRC is good forever and on future versions. Just save a copy of the email from Khaled with the registration code and instructions on how to input. I doubt uninstalling/reinstalling is necessary tho.
© mIRC Discussion Forums