mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Lymril SSL error: ssl not available - Help? - 12/02/13 04:25 AM
I'm having a problem with SSL on one of my mIRC clients. I run more than one, and the older 6.16 version has never given me a problem with SSL connections. Until recently, my other mIRC client (which I always keep updated) never gave me a connection problem either. Then one evening, after months of flawless connections, my new (at the time) 7.25 version refused to connect giving me the following error:

SSL error: ssl not available

After some research and tinkering I discovered that SSL would work if I put copies of the SSL files (libeay32.dll, libssl32.dll, and ssleay32.dll) directly into mIRC 7.25's directory. Previously, it had always worked with the files in the Windows/System 32 directory.

I tried reinstalling all of the SSL files, making sure everything was in Windows/System 32 as required, but it didn't help. I still have to keep the SSL files in mIRC's directory. For some reason, it simply would no longer find them in the Windows directory.

I recently updated 7.25 to 7.29 but I'm still having the exact same problem. I read and followed all of the instructions on the mIRC SSL web page. I also did a search of the forums here, but I haven't found anything that's helped.

Any ideas?
Posted By: Khaled Re: SSL error: ssl not available - Help? - 12/02/13 10:39 AM
The only reason I can think of is that another application has installed its own versions of the OpenSSL files, in a common directory, that are not compatible with mIRC. If you search your computer for the OpenSSL files, are they in any other folders?
Posted By: 5618 Re: SSL error: ssl not available - Help? - 12/02/13 11:38 AM
Could it also be that he has placed the SSL DLLs in "Program Files" instead of the $mircdir?
You'd still expect it to work under System32 of course.

Lymril, just to verify: in mIRC the command //echo -a $sslready returns $false for you?
Posted By: Lymril Re: SSL error: ssl not available - Help? - 12/02/13 06:21 PM
The only other application that uses them is my old Eudora email client, and I've been using it along with mIRC without any issues for years. Eudora keeps its SSL files (libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll) within its own directory (C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora).

Other locations include C:\WINDOWS\system 32 and D:\IRC\DCC Received Files, both of which contain libeay32.dll, libssl32.dll, ssleay32.dll, and msvcr70.dll. I have one physical hard drive on this machine and D: is a partition where I keep all of my IRC clients and related files. DCC received files go there and I also store copies of SSL .DLL files there. The only other place I have them now is in the directory of my mIRC 7.29 client. All installations of mIRC are on my D: drive, which is something else I've been doing for years without issues.

I should also mention that I'm running Windows XP SP3. When doing housekeeping I run applications like CCleaner that clean out the registry. Could something have happened to the registry that prevents mIRC from finding the SSL files?
Posted By: Lymril Re: SSL error: ssl not available - Help? - 12/02/13 06:35 PM
Originally Posted By: 5618
Could it also be that he has placed the SSL DLLs in "Program Files" instead of the $mircdir?
You'd still expect it to work under System32 of course.

Lymril, just to verify: in mIRC the command //echo -a $sslready returns $false for you?

I listed all of the places where I have the SSL DLL files in my reply to Khaled. I tested the $sslready identifier and it does return $false if I don't have the DLL files in the client's directory.

I don't know if this matters or not, but while testing this I discovered that the only two DLL files that need to be in the client directory are libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll. The other two work from the system 32 directory.
© mIRC Discussion Forums