mIRC Homepage
Posted By: pretty unable to resolve server - 12/05/03 01:33 PM
Can someone please help me with this problem. I've tried a bunch of different servers, I've tried the ip number, I don't have a firewall yet I still get this problem everytime I try to connect.

Is there anything else I should check to see why I can't connect to mIRC?

thanks
Posted By: codemastr Re: unable to resolve server - 12/05/03 06:05 PM
Ok, well here is what you should do. Go to a DOS Prompt/Commandline window (depending on your version of Windows) and type:

telnet the.irc.servers.ip 6667

Does it print any text when you do that? If it does, please include it here,if it doesn't, then you need to talk to your ISP.
Posted By: pretty Re: unable to resolve server - 12/05/03 11:04 PM
It says:

"connecting to the.irc.servers.ip....Could not open connection to the host, on port 6667: Connection failed"

Posted By: codemastr Re: unable to resolve server - 12/05/03 11:14 PM
Umm I didn't mean literally enter the.irc.servers.ip, I meant that is where you are supposed to put the IP you want to connect to.
Posted By: pretty Re: unable to resolve server - 12/05/03 11:34 PM
lol...sorry....

here' s one...irc.easynews.com....but I don't know the ip for it....

...now do I type in:

"telnet irc.easynews.com 6667"
Posted By: codemastr Re: unable to resolve server - 12/05/03 11:47 PM
Yes, that should be fine.
Posted By: pretty Re: unable to resolve server - 13/05/03 03:27 AM
This is what it told me when I entered the info:

"Connecting to irc.easynews.com....could not open connection to the host, on port 6667: connect failed"

what should I do from here?
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: unable to resolve server - 13/05/03 03:45 AM
seems to me i heard easynews was down, but Efnet's website isnt cooperating with me tonight. Try each of these in mIRC:
/server irc.Prison.NET
/server 208.178.231.190

also make sure you arent blocking mIRC or the server ports (6660-6669,7000-7001 and 113) anywhere (firewall/router) I think prison runs on 6666 and 6667

usually when you get cant resolve server it means the server is down/doesnt exist or you are having a dns prob (in which case trying the ip does the trick)
Posted By: pretty Re: unable to resolve server - 13/05/03 03:21 PM
I tried both server addresses and they both told me:

"Unable to Connect (connection refused)"

How do I make sure I'm not blocking mIRC or the ports?
I don't have a firewall..so I don't think I'm blockin it...I have Windows XP...and I know it comes with a firewall...but I don't know how to check that....

Can someone tell me how to check the firewall for XP and tell me how to make sure I'm not blocking the ports?

thanks
Posted By: Watchdog Re: unable to resolve server - 13/05/03 03:27 PM
The firewall in XP is off unless you enable it when you set up the connection or later on in Control Panel.
Posted By: pretty Re: unable to resolve server - 13/05/03 03:59 PM
what about checking if I'm blocking the ports for mIRC??

How do I check that? And is there any other way I can check to see if I'm blocking mIRC?
Posted By: Nimue Re: unable to resolve server - 13/05/03 11:07 PM
Try these
/server irc.servercentral.net
/server 66.150.99.99
Look here for some more.
Posted By: pretty Re: unable to resolve server - 14/05/03 05:28 AM
i tried a bunch of them....they all give me the "unable to connect (connection refused)"
Posted By: pretty Re: unable to resolve server - 14/05/03 02:36 PM
can someone tell me what the settings I should have for mIRC to make sure it'll work???

Also, can someone tell me how I check if I"m blocking some of the ports???

thanks
Posted By: codemastr Re: unable to resolve server - 14/05/03 05:10 PM
There are no ports you could be blocking, you are connecting to a remote system, not the other way around. Anyway, it seems like either a.) a firewall issue or b.) an ISP issue.
Posted By: pretty Re: unable to resolve server - 15/05/03 05:07 PM
I called my ISP and they told me everything's fine...I did have a firewall, I un-installed it and the problem still persists...

I'm at a loss right now...
© mIRC Discussion Forums