mIRC Homepage
Posted By: pcguy # Check for timed out connection not working?? - 22/02/06 10:41 PM
I have the newly added "Check for timed out connection" enabled but today in the status window the following appeared. Note the event at 15:58 was caused by me typing something in the channel

[15:55] Ping? Pong!
-
[15:58] * [10053] Software caused connection abort

The ping period before this event was every minute. I thought that the above setting was to prevent this from happening ie the user not realizing that they are actually no longer connected to the server.
From the mIRC help file:

Check for timed out connection
Pings the server every so often to check that the connection is okay.

I don't know (and I'm assuming that you don't either) what that "every so often" translates to in terms of minutes. It might be 5, or maybe 10... who knows. My guess as to what happened to you is that "every so often" time didn't pass yet when you were disconnected, which means that it would've worked sooner or later if you hadn't sent that message, anyway.

An option for the user to tell mIRC what that "every so often" means in terms of seconds would be a great feature suggestion, in my opinion. You might want to post it in the Feature Suggestions forum.
Have done that. Just wished the documentation for 6.17 would of indicated the period of time since I have yet to have this feature be of any use.

frown
© mIRC Discussion Forums