mIRC Homepage
Posted By: shanghai too many host connections (global) - 30/08/05 05:27 PM
I keep getting this message when i try to connect to an irc server: "too many host connections (global)" and my link is closed. What does this mean and how can i connect?
Posted By: _dood_ Re: too many host connections (global) - 30/08/05 06:47 PM
It means there are too many connections from your host across the entire network.

Do you have more than one connection from the same place to this network? This could be a family member or a bot for example.

It could also be that connections from your ISP have been limited.
Posted By: shanghai Re: too many host connections (global) - 30/08/05 06:53 PM
Do you mean that there are too many people connected through the same irc server? Cause I don't always get this message, sometimes i manage to connect but especially at low traffic hours when none of my friends are online. I only have one version of mirc connected at once and none of my family members use it so I would exclude that option. I've tried changing to another server but get the same message, should I keep on trying different servers?
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: too many host connections (global) - 30/08/05 06:56 PM
It's not the number of people on the IRC network... it's the number of people from your IP. This happens on a home network and also on work/school networks where everyone has the same outside IP address.
Posted By: shanghai Re: too many host connections (global) - 30/08/05 07:13 PM
Does this have to do with the fact I have a T3 connection? What's the solution then?
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: too many host connections (global) - 30/08/05 08:20 PM
T3? Where are you connecting from? Work? College?
Posted By: shanghai Re: too many host connections (global) - 30/08/05 08:27 PM
No I am connecting from home, and my pc is the only one in the house. My connection is fiber optics and I am assuming it is referred to as T3, but as far as ICT's go, i am blissfully ignorant and still attached to analog tecnologies such as turntables, so I may have used the wrong terminology. What to do?
Posted By: DimWatt Re: too many host connections (global) - 31/08/05 01:03 AM
Quote:
It's not the number of people on the IRC network... it's the number of people from your IP. This happens on a home network and also on work/school networks where everyone has the same outside IP address.

Not sure if this will help, I have seen three people on the same channel
living in different homes all with the same IP. I thought the first two
were the same person, a ghost and a recoonect.

They were kind enough to explain it was the way their dial up service worked.
They were all from Australia.

If you do not have a static IP meaning it changes each time you connect you could try closing your internet service and reconnect
or try connect to the internet on a different server in your providers group. If your IP is static you could try changing it,
this should be possible but I'm not sure how. Maybe check your ISP's help page or contact your provider for information.

TeeJay cool
Posted By: shanghai Re: too many host connections (global) - 01/09/05 06:41 PM
Closing my internet connection and reconnecting changes nothing. On the other hand maintaining the same connection but attempting to connect to mirc at different times sometimes works. The problem with this if course is that I have no control on when I manage to connect. I'm guessing the only option is contacting my internet provider, but what exactly should I ask for?
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: too many host connections (global) - 01/09/05 06:45 PM
Ask them if you're using a shared IP address. If you are, then ask if you can get a unique, static IP address (or a dynamic address). Both will help you out.

You said you have T3, but I think most likely it's something else. In the US, nothing higher than T1 can be placed in a residential zone. And, a T1 is very expensive to have. From what you're having trouble with, it sounds more like you have cable. Cable often uses the same IP for the entire neighborhood. And if more than the minimum number of connections from the same IP is reached (this can range from 2 or 3 up to a lot), you'll get that error. When people start logging off, then you are able to log on.
Posted By: _dood_ Re: too many host connections (global) - 01/09/05 07:25 PM
If you are still unable to connect you may try contacting QNet and seeing if they will arrange to create an I:Line for you on one of their servers.

Don't count on it though, they are usually done for large establishments such as universities and the staff are normally busy.
Posted By: shanghai Re: too many host connections (global) - 01/09/05 07:31 PM
I talked to my internet provider (in Italy, where faster connections are being incentivated by low prices so it could be cable but being the fastest connection available I doubt it), and I was told I already have a dynamic ip, meaning that my real ip is hidden to avoid hackers and my revealed ip always changes. Also I believe my real ip is unique and not shared with other users. What else could be causing me problems with mirc?
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: too many host connections (global) - 01/09/05 07:40 PM
Contact the network, then. If your IP *is* changing whenver you reconnect to the internet, then it shouldn't always be blocked for too many hosts. You should be able to disconnect from the internet (not IRC) and reconnect and then get on the network. If you cannot, then the network may be consindering an entire range of IPs as being the same host. Best to contact them and explain the situation and see what they can offer you.

Otherwise, you may need to just use another network and save yourself the headache.
Posted By: shanghai Re: too many host connections (global) - 01/09/05 08:06 PM
by network do you mean server on irc? thanks so much for your help I wouldn't have known where to start otherwise
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: too many host connections (global) - 01/09/05 08:50 PM
Yes.
© mIRC Discussion Forums