mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Czybes connecting with a proxy - 11/12/02 04:03 PM
I am new to mICR but not to computing, I want to setup my IRC system to connect through a proxy. ( I am using mIRC 6.02 Windows XP home over a dsl connection to AOL) My aim is to hide my internet provider name from whois cmds. and when logging into channels. I have tried to enter proxy data in the "Options/connect/firewall" section but to no avail. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance. Czybes
Posted By: d00dman Re: connecting with a proxy - 11/12/02 04:15 PM
Do you actually have your own proxy already setup? Some companies sell IRC proxy services (also known as BNC, etc). If you don't have the resources to set up your own proxy, maybe you could look around and find a company that does.

My opinion: why bother. If you're on IRC to chat with friends, it's too much of a hassle to try to conseal your host.

-chris
Posted By: SyN Re: connecting with a proxy - 11/12/02 08:05 PM
1 if you are trying to use an open proxy that will let just any puter connect through it chances are you are going to get klined by the rircd anyway as most run scanners for open proxies these days

2 if it's an open proxie you got off a net a friend or whatever it's probably no longer functional.

3 most open proxies are simply misconfigured proxies and by connecting through them you could be possibly breaking the law.

4 make sure you have the correct port protocol and ip as well as your username and pass for the given proxie (if it's a properely configured proxy that you have permission to use)

5 google bnc
© mIRC Discussion Forums