mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Akm2k How do i keep key on my channel? - 05/01/03 08:08 PM
Please does anyone know how to keep the key when no one is in my channel?

Akm2k
Posted By: Poppy Re: How do i keep key on my channel? - 05/01/03 08:28 PM
Assuming you're the channel founder, and there is a ChanServ on your network, you need to identify as the founder in order to do this. Type in /chanserv identify #channel <password> then /chanserv help to get details of how to change the modes. If your network doesn't have ChanServ, go to one of the help channels to get more info. smile
Posted By: Julie2 Re: How do i keep key on my channel? - 05/01/03 08:34 PM
This depends on whether your channel is registered, and if so which IRC network youre on. If the channel is not registered, its gone when everyone parts it and its modes are cleared. If youre on an IRC network that provides channel services thru registration, ask the chan services help chan on that network, since each one has a different method for chan services. Your other option is to run your own bot from a 24/7 connection to keep the chan open and the modes controlled by the bot.
Posted By: Akm2k Re: How do i keep key on my channel? - 05/01/03 08:43 PM
i am founder and chan is registered i just don't know command 4 key lock

Akm2k
Posted By: Hammer Re: How do i keep key on my channel? - 06/01/03 02:37 AM
Some networks have a Channel Service (ChanServ) that can retain channel keys, most that have a ChanServ do not retain the key nor any limit you may have set because of the way channel modes are saved. +k and +l require additional parameters (the key and the limit) that no other "mode" requires (excepting +obv and possibly +h - all those are handled differently with AOp lists, where available). Some networks offer only a very limited channel service and others offer no channel service at all. If your ChanServ doesn't support keeping track of +k keys (and you'll have to ask in #Help on that network) or there isn't any channel service at all, then your only alternative is to get a bot to put on your channel to keep they key in place when everyone is gone.

mIRC bots are good for this, though if you disconnect your computer, your channel will get empty and the key will disappear. Your mIRC bot can obviously rejoin the channel and reset the key if that happens, of course. Eggdrop bots are better for this, but quite a bit more difficult to set up. They require that you get a shell on another computer (usually a server that runs UNIX) and download the eggdrop files, untar them, compile the program and write the configuration files...and THEN you're ready to install any TCL scripts to do what you want that bot to do.
Posted By: Thanatos6K Re: How do i keep key on my channel? - 06/01/03 07:11 PM
try to use
/chanserv help
/msg chanserv help (if first doesn't work)
/helpop chmodes
perhaps
/msg chanserv set #CHANNEL mlock +ntpk-lL KEY
Posted By: Watchdog Re: How do i keep key on my channel? - 06/01/03 07:45 PM
MLOCK is the go because only the founder can change it. Bots can be kicked out and while outside the room they can't defend the modes that apply.

ChanServ MLOCK is especially handy when you have a host that goes lame on you and wants to screw the channel.
Posted By: The_Game Re: How do i keep key on my channel? - 06/01/03 07:57 PM
It depends on the network that uses chanserv...check to see if mlock is supported
© mIRC Discussion Forums