mIRC Homepage
Posted By: RODF mIRC 6.1 - 30/08/03 06:48 PM
New mIRC 6.1 goes to leave to function after 30 days if not registering?
Posted By: codemastr Re: mIRC 6.1 - 30/08/03 07:07 PM
Apparently, yes. Although when I asked Tjerk if that was the case, he just ignored my post so I don't know.
Posted By: oriongods Re: mIRC 6.1 - 30/08/03 08:36 PM
dont worry, someone will crack the damn thing very soon
Posted By: _D3m0n_ Re: mIRC 6.1 - 30/08/03 08:37 PM
u need to take some prozac
Posted By: Poppy Re: mIRC 6.1 - 30/08/03 09:05 PM
While I believe everyone who can afford to register should do so, I doubt whether this will actually make a difference. People who are determined that they won't pay will just continue to use an older version. Obviously it means that they'll be stuck without upgrades, but you gets what you pays for (or not). :tongue:
Posted By: oriongods Re: mIRC 6.1 *DELETED* - 30/08/03 09:08 PM
Post deleted by oriongods
Posted By: Poppy Re: mIRC 6.1 - 30/08/03 09:11 PM
I'd rather have the genuine article, not some hacked crap with God only knows what in it.
Posted By: oriongods Re: mIRC 6.1 - 30/08/03 09:18 PM
itz same <deleted by moderator> just itz registered <deleted> nad with that <deleted> you dont get lame popup about registering <deleted> 30 days, so tell me what is bigger <del> fully functional <del> or some shareware <del>?
Posted By: Krejt Re: mIRC 6.1 - 30/08/03 10:55 PM
I do not understand why you answer 'Apparently, yes'. Obviously you didn't base that answer on my answer to your question... and you didnt test it either.

To make sure I do not confuse you even more, the correct answer to RODF's question is 'no'.

You could have seen that for yourself; change your PC's clock to a date in the future and re-start your mIRC. First try like 25 days, then a month, then several months... and see what happens. You'll see nothing much happens at all; mIRC will simply tell you your evaluation period of 30 days has expired.
Posted By: codemastr Re: mIRC 6.1 - 31/08/03 12:23 AM
Quote:
You could have seen that for yourself; change your PC's clock to a date in the future and re-start your mIRC. First try like 25 days, then a month, then several months... and see what happens. You'll see nothing much happens at all; mIRC will simply tell you your evaluation period of 30 days has expired.

I appologize, I guess I gave Khaled more credit than was due. I figured he would have done something more advanced than just using the Windows clock which can obviously be fooled. If setting it forward triggers it to saying it's expired, then obviously, all you'd have to do is set the clock backwards and mIRC would never say it had expired.
Posted By: Raccoon Re: mIRC 6.1 - 31/08/03 12:30 AM
It's more of a nagware guilt-trip thing, hoping that one day you'll see it saying...
"You are 2178 days over your trial period, please register." and you will.

I rarely register any software until I hit that 2178 day mark.

* Raccoon waits patiently for his registration code to arrive.
Posted By: codemastr Re: mIRC 6.1 - 31/08/03 12:36 AM
Possibly, or more likely you'll say "THIS IS SO ANNOYING!" And then either get an older mIRC, different client, or get a cracked copy. Not saying that people should crack it, just saying thats probably the most likely scenario.
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: mIRC 6.1 - 31/08/03 12:46 AM
Quote:
If setting it forward triggers it to saying it's expired, then obviously, all you'd have to do is set the clock backwards and mIRC would never say it had expired.

Surely if all it does when it's expired is pretty much the same it does when it's not expired then there's no point in someone setting their system clock back... and so no reason for Khaled to go to extra measures.
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: mIRC 6.1 - 31/08/03 04:14 AM
OK, now try to reply without namecalling please?
Posted By: Krejt Re: mIRC 6.1 - 31/08/03 10:28 AM
Appology accepted, no problem!

I guess Khaled doesn't -want- to make something more advanced. That wouldn't make his point more clear. I think you understand that? For all others this might be a good moment to read the 'The Author' part in the mIRC helpfile, or read his personal webpages and FAQ to learn a bit more about Khaled and how he feels and thinks, and works on mIRC.

Best wishes,
Posted By: KoRn18 Re: mIRC 6.1 - 31/08/03 12:01 PM
well maybe it just me but khaled is doing too much registration wise and exe wise (non editable/renamable)
i see where the registration thing is going next version, 30 day limited trial...

first off this nag screen on current version is <snip>!
and second off he needs to chill out and do the same thing that was in 6.03, just pop up a website every 30 days (altho that was also bad enough!)

truthfully... i have more respect for mirc and khaled than i do for the programs i have cracked, so i leave mirc alone

but this nag screen will drive me nuts eventually, so seriously, it needs taken out

(my 50 cents)
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: mIRC 6.1 - 31/08/03 03:51 PM
I think you seem to have missed the point of a nag screen. The entire reason it's there is to slowly wear down your cheapness until you actually pay for the software.
Posted By: LocutusofBorg Re: mIRC 6.1 - 01/09/03 05:32 AM
Well, the easiest way to take it out is to fork over the cash. Personally, I don't see it as a problem. I regged my 5.41 years ago, and have never seen the screen since unless I installed a new upgrade. I'm just happy that

a] there is a lifetime registration. Nothing worse than programs who want you to register every single version
b] there isn't a popup screen nagging you that there is a newer version of the software available if you don't upgrade (yes, I do have software that does so, without being able to turn off this popup)
© mIRC Discussion Forums