mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Morphu69_nz Sharing files with family using Mirc - 24/08/03 06:42 AM
I wish to share files with my family using Mirc, but they cannot download from me. It just keeps timing out. I am running Winxip pro without the firewall running and using omenserve. Can any one help me because some files are just too big to email.
Posted By: KingTomato Re: Sharing files with family using Mirc - 24/08/03 05:40 PM
If you have a home network, why not use it? If you have a linksys or a d-link router of some sorts, you should all have an assigned intranet ip with the prefix 192.168.*.* or 196.*.*.* To use it, if you have XP, right click on a file and select sharing. From there, you can select a name. Then, on the other computer, go to the my computer window, at the top select tools>>map network drive. type in the others ip (use ipconfig in dos to retreive it) as followf:

(Example Ip)
\\192.168.1.100\c

The \c is usually the name used for the c drive, but can be any other share name you chose to use.

From there, you can share files between each other on a network. If you need a more to-the-point manual, here it is. I broke it down into two sections. The sharer (One sharing things) and the Sharee (One mapping the drive)

Sharer
1. Open My Computer
2. Select C:\Drive (Or the root directory of the files being shared)
3. Right Click, select Sharing And Security.
3. Click the link showing you undersdtand the risk of sharing file, thn click share this folder. The name of "c" should appear in the editbox.
4. Click apply and close.
5. OPen DOS (Start>>Run "cmd")
6. Type ipconfig and press enter.
7. Write down the ip following IP Address.

Sharee
1. Open My Computer.
2. Select from the tools menu, Map Network Drive
3. Select a drive letter, and in the folder field type the address as follows:
\\<ip_you_wrote_down>\c
4. Click finish, and the drive should appear before you.

Simple as that >:D

[b]
Posted By: codemastr Re: Sharing files with family using Mirc - 24/08/03 07:48 PM
When using Windows filesharing, it's usually a good idea to disable DHCP so that the IP always points to the correct computer.
Posted By: KingTomato Re: Sharing files with family using Mirc - 25/08/03 02:55 AM
It usually mever a problem for me as i leave both computers i share on all the time. They are never shut down, and there for never lose the ip. Though your idea isnt a bad one, to disable the DHCP.
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Sharing files with family using Mirc - 25/08/03 06:56 AM
In the event your family isnt in the same house, and to try to solve your dcc sending prob, try this thread
Posted By: PCZeroNet Re: Sharing files with family using Mirc - 30/08/03 06:25 PM
"Usually never"... Isnt it either one or the other?
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Sharing files with family using Mirc - 30/08/03 08:26 PM
lets not get into correcting grammer... or spelling or slang either please. Why try to embarass someone who is trying to help other ppl?
© mIRC Discussion Forums