mIRC Homepage
Posted By: cheated what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 20/08/03 11:56 AM
We had a good channel going for awhile now.
Our original founder stopped coming around, and the room became unregistered.
Today, I was trying to register it, and this idiot did it first.
He wants to give auto-ops to everyone, and I am getting annoyed.
Do I have any recourse, other than starting a new channel?
I really don't want to, since this one is linked and established.

Also, what is the deal with the 20 dollar fee??
What does that get you?
Posted By: Watchdog Re: what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 20/08/03 11:59 AM
Firstly and most importantly the $20 is to register mIRC and has nothing to do with the server you connect to, all you are paying for is the right to keep using mIRC.

As for the room issue, make a new one and take your friends with you, there's no other definite, possible or feasible solution in the short, medium or long term.
Posted By: sparta Re: what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 20/08/03 11:59 AM
Read the rules about register channels on that network you are on.. smirk
Posted By: cheated Re: what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 20/08/03 12:03 PM
but, i don't get it, everyone uses mirc without paying for it, i thought that would secure the channel for us.

I am so depressed.
Posted By: sparta Re: what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 20/08/03 12:08 PM
You pay for mIRC as you do for any program.. like you pay for Windows.. and if you pay for windows that wont get u secured against anything that can happen to your computer.. smirk
Posted By: cheated Re: what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 20/08/03 12:10 PM
wtf are you talking about??

Posted By: sparta Re: what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 20/08/03 12:14 PM
Quote:

but, i don't get it, everyone uses mirc without paying for it, i thought that would secure the channel for us.

I am so depressed.

about that.. you pay to use the program mIRC, and that helps the coder to work on with hes program, it wont help you keep your channels in any way.. it only makes it possible for the creator of mIRC "Khaled" to keep on working with mIRC.. so it wont help you in any way on networks with your channels or anything like that.. smirk
Posted By: cheated Re: what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 20/08/03 12:17 PM
why the hell should I have to pay for it, while the jerk that took over our room doesn't??

That is just [censored] bullshit
Posted By: pheonix Re: what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 20/08/03 12:18 PM
nobody is forcing you to pay for it, but you should pay for it just out of respect for khaled.
Posted By: sparta Re: what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 20/08/03 12:20 PM
if you read the "register" page you see what you get.. and you using the program, so its a way to give the coder some credits and give him somthing for hes work "among other things". mIRC wasnt made in 1 day you know.. takes allot of work from Khaled. smirk
Posted By: cheated Re: what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 20/08/03 12:21 PM
that's NOT how he makes it sound on the page to register.

It's not fair to mislead people like that.
Posted By: cheated Re: what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 20/08/03 12:22 PM
Yeah, but if i DON'T get my room back, I WON'T be using the stupid [censored] thing, so WHY would I want to pay for it then?
Posted By: sparta Re: what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 20/08/03 12:24 PM
then what would you use? and hmm.. "mislead you" how did he do that? confused

From the register page..

Thank you for evaluating mIRC. mIRC is shareware, which means that after you have evaluated mIRC for 30 days, you are required to register it if you wish to continue using it. The registration is a small, affordable, one time payment of US$20.00, and will also work with future versions of mIRC.
Posted By: cheated Re: what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 20/08/03 12:34 PM
Well, if he claims you are REQUIRED to pay the 20 dollars to continue using it, and I have, and after 30 days, the jerk founder HASN'T, then he SHOULD be kicked off, shouldn't he??

It would seem to makes sense, IF it is as he says.
In that case, I'd have my channel back in 30 days, wouldn't I?

But if it's just a matter of oh, pay if you FEEL like it, then he WON'T get kicked after 30 days.

So, you see where it's misleading now???????

And what I would use is NOTHING, because i'm not using mirc for anything else but this one channel, and if he is gonna be in charge of it, I have no use for it.
Posted By: sparta Re: what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 20/08/03 12:39 PM
why not talk to him and try solve your problems? by anger screaming and kicking you never will solve anything. it's bether to talk to the person.. or maybe start your own channel.. just add a _ or somthing to the channel name, then let the users on the old channel know how you feel, then ask them if they feel the same and maybe join youtr new channel.. smile and it dont say you cant use the program after 30 days.. "you are required to register it" it dont say the program wont work after 30 days.. and i guess its more like a request that he wants you to pay for it.. and he had allot of work with the program. and still do today.. smirk
Posted By: Collective Re: what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 20/08/03 03:41 PM
Cheated, you are talking out of your arse, and here's why:

mIRC is just an IRC client, one of many IRC clients. The makers of these IRC clients have no control over IRC servers, server admins, channel founders or anything else! If you don't like the way a channel is being used then you should contact a server admin, although you're not likely to get anything done about it.
Posted By: Watchdog Re: what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 20/08/03 04:12 PM
Tell me something, if the "jerk founder" jumped off a bridge would you follow him? If not then don't follow his lead like a sheep for other reasons. mIRC has nothing to do with the fact that someone had the gumption to register a room on an IRC network before you did.

Quite frankly I do not think anyone here cares whether you bother to keep using mIRC or not, I know that I don't and it's not like Khaled and Krejt are going to lie on the floor cuddling Arnie and bawling their eyes out because of the fact that you keep wrongfully associating the registration of a room with the registration of mIRC. What we are trying to tell you that whether you register mIRC or not, the other gronk has your room and is obviously not going to give it back. He doesn't have to give it back. On most networks that allow people to register rooms at will the privilege comes on a first in first served basis. And there is no avenue to digress from that policy in any way.
Posted By: codemastr Re: what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 20/08/03 05:29 PM
Ok first off there are hundreds of IRC clients out there, you don't even know this other guy is using mIRC. So don't try and blame this on mIRC, it has NOTHING to do with mIRC. If you don't like the IRC network's policies that channel registration is first-come-first-serve, then you are 100% free to find another server to chat on. Although, you will be hardpressed to find a network that has a different policy.

Anyway, registering mIRC has NOTHING to do with registering a channel, they are two completely different things. mIRC is a shareware program, that mean you must pay for it. The fact that mIRC still works after 30days, I don't consider to be a bad thing, I consider it to be a very good thing. Not everyone can just scrape up the $20 to register mIRC immediately after 30days, so Khaled, being a nice guy, has realized that not everyone can necessarily afford mIRC instantly and so he allows people to continue to use it even if they haven't paid. But as I said, this has nothing to do with registering a channel. That process is dictated by the irc network NOT mIRC.
Posted By: djmadness Re: what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 22/08/03 07:49 AM
cant u for ffs respect khaled ??? without his work, what will IRC be ???

i cant see in the register form, "YOU MUST PAY `TO USE THIS PROGRAM OR IT WONT WORK"

oh yes it does work, AND not any IRC clients have anything to do what happens on a server or a channel, sry about that, but u cant blame anyone but the person, that regged the channel...

Make your own channel and invite friends to it

ZoomIRC the place to be

/server djmadness.dynu.net:6667 -j #ZoomIRC
Codemastr does respect Khaled, just like every other mIRC user otherwise they would not use the program, if they think it is not very good, then so be it, everyone that I see helping others every day, day in, day out, love the program and respect haled for his hard work and effort throughout the mIRC project.

The original poster should know by using the software, mIRC has nothing to do with channel creation and what not. It is entirely up the the channel founder to do what and when he wants providing he does not break the server rules listed in the /MOTD (Message of the Day).

To the original poster, if you are so uo tight about the situation, why not use a different server, I cannot specify any but here has some great servers to choose from. Servers.ini. If you don't want to use any from there, create your own, Codemastr's UnrealIRCd in my honest opinion is top choice, might want to use a search engine for some services, try Auspice I think it's called, or something along those lines, or possibly LakeServ, anyways I am getting way ahead of myself here. The point of this post is basically to say everyone respects Khaled's hard work and effort you should too (to the original poster), even if you don''t respect him, on behalf of myself and everyone else I'd like to thank Khaled for his hard work and effort, Arnie for being a great Mascott throughout the project, and of course the moderators, for their hard work and putting up with us all, so thanks once again, you guys really are great!!
Posted By: djmadness Re: what is the deal with a jerk founder? - 22/08/03 08:36 AM
i am not talking baout him, i am talking about cheated
i see no respect from him
Well I was just stating that you replied to Codemastr. wink
© mIRC Discussion Forums