mIRC Homepage
Hello.

I have two separate questions regarding mIRC 7.63 behaviour that I don't know how to solve.

1. I have mIRC configured to auto-join a channel on invite. This does seem to work, but the joined channel window does not pop open for me, it seems to be minimized upon joining. Is there a way to make the channel window open up when the channel is auto-joined on invite?

2. When using a bouncer (psyBNC in my case), the bouncer's "chat" window is under the nickname -psyBNC (I have read a thread about issues with hyphen prefixed nicknames, although I don't know how that story evolved or how things stand with that). But basically what I would like to do (if at all possible) is to make mIRC NOT react to the content in that chat window, meaning, it should not start blinking as if I had a new message when mIRC is minimized, and it should not highlight words in that window based on my Highlight settings. I have tried playing around with mIRC Address Book / Control - Ignore setting, but without any luck. Can what I want be done at all ?

Edit:
I seem to have gotten the highlighting to stop by putting a checkmark next to "Highlight". I'm not able to figure out what the checkmark next to "Private" does. Now I would need to make it so that the "Flash on message" setting is ignored for this particular chat window and that would be it.

Edit 2:
Ok I figured out the "Private" checkmark. It causes the private messages from this nickname to be completely ignored, but only if the chat window is closed. I had it open and the messages kept coming anyway, so I thought "Private" doesn't have any effect. So all that's left is to make it not flash on new messages for this particular chat window! I do want the window to be open and show new messages, I just don't want it flashing when mIRC is minimized, if that can be achieved!?
how are these messages created in the bouncer's window? Do they appear because a script contains an ECHO command which causes them to be there, or are they just normal query messages as if from a real nick?

If a script sends them there using the echo command, the echo command can use the -n switch to not have the icon be highlighted. If it's a normal query window, a remote script could created which filters the messages going to the query window, by using /echo -n to send the query message there using the -n. Something like:

Code
ON ^*:TEXT:*:?:{
  if ($nick != -psyBNC) return
  if (!$query(-psyBNC)) query -psyBNC
  echo -tmn -psyBNC $+(<,$nick,>) $1-
  halt
}

If for some reason you don't want to mess with the incoming messages, such as losing consecutive or leading spaces, you can use /window -g0 to reset the switchbar's color to normal, but otherwise do nothing with the message.

ON *:TEXT:*:?:{ if ($nick == -psyBNC) .timer 1 0 window -g0 -psyBNC }
1. I have mIRC configured to auto-join a channel on invite. This does seem to work, but the joined channel window does not pop open for me, it seems to be minimized upon joining. Is there a way to make the channel window open up when the channel is auto-joined on invite?

The auto-join feature is designed to work in a way makes sense for most users, ie. if you are typing in a channel or query window, and an invite request arrives, you would not want a channel window to suddenly open up while you are typing in another window.

However, if you really want this, one way to do it would be to disable the auto-join option and to use a remote script that listens for invite requests and uses a /join to join the channel:

on *:invite:#:/join $chan

2. When using a bouncer (psyBNC in my case), the bouncer's "chat" window is under the nickname -psyBNC (I have read a thread about issues with hyphen prefixed nicknames, although I don't know how that story evolved or how things stand with that). But basically what I would like to do (if at all possible) is to make mIRC NOT react to the content in that chat window, meaning, it should not start blinking as if I had a new message when mIRC is minimized, and it should not highlight words in that window based on my Highlight settings. I have tried playing around with mIRC Address Book / Control - Ignore setting, but without any luck. Can what I want be done at all ?

The ignore feature does not currently have the option to ignore flashing. I have added this to the to-do list. The only way around this currently is to use a script, as described in maroon's post.
I have no idea how messages are created. It looks like a chat window to me (because it appears to act like a chat window). In the title of it, it says: -PsyBNC (psyBNC@psyBNC.at)

I opened the mIRC Scripts Editor, clicked the "Remote" tab (remote.ini) and first tried it with: ON *:TEXT:*:?:{ if ($nick == -psyBNC) .timer 1 0 window -g0 -psyBNC }
This worked only with the icon in the switchbar which indeed stopped flashing. But if I was using another program and mIRC was in the background (not focused), the miRC taskbar icon or tray icon (if minimized) were still flashing when the -PsyBNC "chat" window was updated with a "message".

So I then pasted in the other 6 line part of code and while I have no clue what it does (can't read / understand the code), it seems to work and does what I wanted: when -PsyBNC chat window gets updated, mIRC taskbar / tray icon doesn't flash anymore. So, great. I just hope there are no side-effects.

Thank you maroon!

Khaled, I disagree with your "you would not want a channel window to suddenly open up while you are typing in another window" assertion. The majority of the time the user is not typing. While I was using the old mIRC version I was happy with it opening the channel window for me on auto-join. I only came here asking about it because I kept missing the auto-joined windows since they were silently hidden in the switchbar and I never noticed it since I installed the new mIRC. That to me was a bigger problem within a day of using the new mIRC compared to auto-opening the channel window in old mIRC for years. I guess it can be solved with that piece of script code but it could also be added as a settings option.
© mIRC Discussion Forums