mIRC Homepage
I've found one discussion using simply 10053. This had nothing to do with my issue. I've been using ver. 6.21 for years. For the last, say 6 months, I will get disconnected just out of the blue and this 10053 code came up in the status window. I started believing it was due to an old version so, I upgraded to 6.43 (new install, all new settings, etc.). It still happened so, I did the latest update to 7.55. Still does it. Not as often but, it is still happening and getting a bit annoying.
Any suggestions or a solution would be greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately 10053 is just a generic winsock connection error, so it becomes very difficult to track down.

Some of the things that can help:

* Connect via SSL (use ports +6697 or +7000 or whatever for that particular server -- you must include the plus symbol before the port number to indicate SSL). This can stop network hardware or ISPs from disconnecting plain-text TCP sessions that it believes should be terminated or timed-out.

* Connect via hard wire, and not wirelessly. Use an ethernet cable instead of WiFi. Use Cable/DSL instead of wireless services.

* Open up your network adapters and delete the network adapter, then reboot Windows. This is called refreshing your network stack. A new one will be created again and clear out some dead wood.

* Disable or uninstall your nonsense antivirus / internet security software. Use virustotal.com instead when you download files.

* Replace your network router / switch.

* Don't use Bittorrent. You're exceeding the number of TCP sessions allowed by your OS and network hardware.

... and others I'm sure. But those are common ones.

Originally Posted by Raccoon
you must include the plus symbol before the port number to indicate SSL

Made my day! Thank you.
© mIRC Discussion Forums