mIRC Homepage
Posted By: rmruby mIRC settings lost after upgrade - 01/03/18 05:33 AM
I'm so frustrated with all of this. Every time I upgrade mIRC, it wipes out my settings, and at the moment I'm trying to log in to DelphiForums.com, but my settings are all gone.

I go to Edit Server, enter everything correctly. I don't know what Login Method means, and the help box doesn't help.

Why can't it save my settings? I can't find out how to do that anywhere. Anything that mentions might as well be written in medieval latin for all i can make of it.
I know I'm no computer genius, I'm sorry, but it's not really okay that it's this hard to do.

So someone please tell this stupid girl how the heck to get into DelphiForums or how to save my settings or both.
Thank you,
Marissa
Posted By: Raccoon Re: mIRC settings lost after upgrade - 01/03/18 06:50 AM
Some people install mIRC incorrectly. I will try to explain it simply.

In Windows Vista, 7, 10... a program cannot make any changes to any files stored under C:\Program Files\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\

If you selected "Portable Install" at some point when installing mIRC, what will happen is that the file mirc.ini gets installed under C:\Program Files (x86)\mIRC\mirc.ini

If this happens, only the Windows Administrator can make changes to mirc.ini, and so mIRC cannot make normal changes to your settings. They become lost.

All of the above also applies to other files like servers.ini, users.ini vars.ini scripts.ini popups.ini, et al.

There are a couple solutions.

1) Create a folder at C:\Portable\mIRC\ and move everything from C:\Program Files (x86)\mIRC\ into it. Update your Start Menu shortcuts. You're good to go.

2.a) Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\mIRC\ and delete all of the .ini files within that folder. Alternately, you can backup all these files into a different location, but ultimately the .ini files (and specifically mirc.ini) CANNOT be in that folder.

2.b) After mirc.ini has been removed from C:\Program Files (x86)\mIRC\ then mIRC will write mirc.ini and your other settings files to the correct App Data folder under your User Directory. You can replace some of these settings files with those that you backed-up earlier.

The main point here is that only System Administrators and applications with Administrator Permission can make changes to files stored under C:\Program Files\, and it may be that you accidentally installed mIRC as "Portable" in this location. A "Portable Install" puts both mirc.exe and mirc.ini into the same folder so it can be toted around on a USB flash drive or cloud storage.
Posted By: Khaled Re: mIRC settings lost after upgrade - 01/03/18 08:16 AM
Quote:
Every time I upgrade mIRC, it wipes out my settings

The mIRC installer preverves settings by default when upgrading. If mIRC was saving your settings correctly before upgrading, the most common reason for losing your settings during an upgrade is anti-virus software not recognizing the new version of mIRC and incorrectly deleting your settings because it thinks it might be a trojan/virus. This is called a false positive. Anti-virus companies normally update their databases shortly after new releases of software to prevent their software from doing this.

Unfortunately, if the anti-virus sofware has deleted your settings, it is unlikely that you will be able to get them back.

Quote:
I go to Edit Server, enter everything correctly. I don't know what Login Method means, and the help box doesn't help.

Why can't it save my settings?

Do you mean that mIRC is not saving any new settings you enter into it now? Or just that you lost your settings on upgrade?
Posted By: Raccoon Re: mIRC settings lost after upgrade - 01/03/18 11:16 AM
Originally Posted By: rmruby
I go to Edit Server, enter everything correctly. {snip} Why can't it save my settings?

When you go to reconnect, be sure to select the server that you just edited, click the button "Select", and then "Connect".
© mIRC Discussion Forums