mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Yehhanyos New to mIRC - 25/06/08 07:24 AM
OK, i'm totally new to IRC/mIRC, i just want to chat (to a certain member), nothing else .. what can i do?? is it by typing /whois NICK NICK or should i type /whois NICK .. and what does that mean??? and when i do that i didn't get a respond !!!! can anyone please give me a step by step frown

And is that better or should i just PMing members ?? it works for me .. but i've heard it's a bad manner on IRC !!!!

Edit: how can i log or save a conversation between me and any other member ???

Thanks ~ ~
Posted By: Horstl Re: New to mIRC - 26/06/08 12:14 AM
If you only want to check if one or more nicks are currently used on that network, you may use the /ison command.

eg.:
/ison Joe Sue Peet Bill
if only nicks Joe and Bill are currently used on that network, you'll get a reply (status window): "ison: Joe Bill"
if none of the nicks are in use, you'll get: "ison: no such user"

/whois nick can handle only one nick per whois command, and returns more details than ison (for example what channels the nick is on at the moment).
If that nick isn't used at the moment, you should get the reply: "<nick> No such nick/channel".
/whois nick nick may return a more verbose information than /whois nick, e.g. the logon- and idletime.

Maybe the notify list (Alt-N) serves you: The notify list is your mIRC "buddy list". Right-click in the notify window and pick 'options' to add nicks, or use Alt-B (address book) > Notify.

In case you cannot find any of the members you're looking for, possibly you just connected to the wrong network.
© mIRC Discussion Forums