mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Raccoon Logging question - 26/02/15 10:22 AM
Another question about logs, Khaled...

If you select Lock Logs in mIRC, the intended behavior once upon a time (pre multi-server days) was to append a number to the log name if another connection instance attempted writing to the same log -- eg, you're in the same channel twice.

With mIRC allowing multiple server connections, the log isn't "locked" in the same way it used to be, and so joining the same channel multiple times will cause double writing to the same log file.

[00:00] <MooCow> Hi
[00:01] <MadGoat> Hey!

Do you think it reasonable to append digits (.1) to a log file if multiple channel/query/status windows attempt to log to the same file?

#mirc.log

#mirc.1.log

Posted By: Khaled Re: Logging question - 26/02/15 11:18 AM
I do not recall the lock logs option having such a feature. A change was made in mIRC v6.21 (some time after multi-server support was added) that used a logging filename format that included an id number eg. name.N.log to distinguish log filenames in multiple connections to the same network. However, this was reverted in mIRC v6.3 by popular request, as many users did not like it. I cannot remember the reasons why - perhaps it added yet another level of complexity to log file naming, parsing, processing, reading, etc. that users did not want. There are no plans to add it back again I'm afraid, not even as an option.
Posted By: Raccoon Re: Logging question - 26/02/15 11:27 AM
Alright. Thanks.

I can see the compulsory ID number being a bit obnoxious... in my mind it should only appear when a conflict does happen.

If I'm not mistaken, the "Lock logs" option still behaves in this manner. If you open up two mIRC instances, each instance's logs are locked (write access denied) from the other instance, forcing a ".1" digit to be placed at the end of the second mIRC's log files.
© mIRC Discussion Forums