mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Llama Toolbar icons are too small - Windows 8 - 12/06/14 05:12 PM
Hey guys,

I used search 10+ times and got plenty of results (and plenty of useful information too!). But no simple answers. I got my first Win8 machine today. After installing Mirc everything is fine and working top notch. But - I can't even see the toolbar icons, they are sized 1/4 of the mouse icon. Changing the option value between small, medium and large does not do anything. How can I change the icons to something significantly bigger?

Is this a Mirc issue or a Win8 issue (or both)? Weird that there weren't similar cases when using searches like "too small icons" or "tiny icons" etc. Am I the only sucker having this...

All the other progs work fine and do not have this - so it's not a throughout win8 setting.
Posted By: Llama Re: Toolbar icons are too small - Windows 8 - 12/06/14 05:33 PM
Cool rankings, "mostly harmless" - so I guess I kinda did some harm already by handing out my first post laugh
Posted By: HadS Re: Toolbar icons are too small - Windows 8 - 12/06/14 07:32 PM
Hello Llama,

First, do you have set in Windows 8 a custom display wich allows to change the size of all items ? This following image show the Windows 8's "Change the size of all items" dialog box.

If you're not at "100%" (green circle in the picture), all items will be bigger and more easier to read.

However, setting a ratio wich is different from 100% may causes some graphical's problems on many applications. Windows 8 and some others applications (like firefox) supports practically any kind of ratio (ex: 125%, 150%), why ? Because these applications/OS use for their graphical's elements standard's windows control (button, editbox, listbox, toolbar, etc.. wich can be themed ).

Paint with "size of all items" set to 150%. Everything seems correct, all the elements seems equilbrated:

For his Toolbar, mIRC seems to uses his own toolbar's control, it's not a standard windows's toolbar. With "size of all elements" set to 150%, the mIRC's toolbar will be smaller than others controls present in mIRC:

Quote:
Changing the option value between small, medium and large does not do anything

It's normal, this switch resize the mIRC's switchbar (contain servers, channels, query, etc..) and not the mIRC's toolbar.

Maybe someone will correct me, but I don't think it's possible to make the mIRC's toolbar bigger or smaller.

Add this feature to mIRC would be nice.

However, if you want to equilibrate all the mIRC's control I advise you the set the size of all elements to 100%.

If you're already at 100% and the toolbar is too small, I don't have an answer. In this case, please sends more information about your problem, and post a screenshot.

Bye
Posted By: Llama Re: Toolbar icons are too small - Windows 8 - 12/06/14 08:49 PM
Merci bien, you had something there because it was set to 200% by default. I changed it to 100% and logged back in and the icons were the same but everything else was muppet size as well. So no change in icons frown

Posted By: Llama Re: Toolbar icons are too small - Windows 8 - 12/06/14 09:02 PM
Sample of toolbar

it seems bigger here (I mean the link) I see because that was only a 1/10 of my 13,3" screen in the left upper corner. The icons appear a lot smaller here (and I'd like to state once more that all the other progs like chrome have their toolbar icons normal sized).
Posted By: HadS Re: Toolbar icons are too small - Windows 8 - 12/06/14 09:11 PM
You're welcome.

Thanks for your screenshot, you was at 100% when taking it ? (or 200%) ? I guess it was more than 100%, I notice your google chrome is a little blurred/pixelated.
Posted By: HadS Re: Toolbar icons are too small - Windows 8 - 12/06/14 10:36 PM
Yes the mIRC's toolbar have always the same size, it's due IMO to the toolbar's icons wich have been made in 16x16 pixels.

I think mIRC doesn't allows to resize toolbar for this reason. A bigger toolbar should have bigger icons than 16x16 (ex: 32x32,48x48, or other).

Make a bigger toolbar with no ico > 16x16 will brings a bad visual effect because of the pixelation.:

Ex: Winrar with 150%, icons are pixelated:

Winrar with 100%, icons are fine:

Creating several resolution for one icon is a long task, this have been done for the mIRC.exe icon application and switchbar if I'm right. So since there is more than 10 icons in the toolbar, I guess creating 32x32 and 48x48 icon version on each of them will be very long for an non-designer.

Creating .svg icons prevent pixelation when resizing icon in any resolution, but in general is harder to make a vector image (losseless) than a bitmap one.
Posted By: Llama Re: Toolbar icons are too small - Windows 8 - 14/06/14 05:38 AM
OK, big thanks for all the answers!

P.S. the screenshot was taken with 200% setting.

It's actually ok, I use the toolbar fairly rarely - this just caught my eye immediately.
© mIRC Discussion Forums