mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Creak Opera 7.11 and irc:// format - 18/05/03 10:56 PM
Hi !
I've just downloaded Opera 7.11 which is much better than IE in so many way ! But there is not the question, i've just remarked that it doesn't take the irc:// format links frown
I know that "this at the moment only seems to be working for MS Internet Exploder, not Netscape", but it was just to say that Opera doesn't takes it too.

I absolutely don't know how u did the irc:// format links (dispite the fact that i program too), so i just want to ask u a question : does it have connections with the navigator ? (i mean is it a plugin added to IE in the installation - which could explain why it only works wih it - or is it something more burried in the windows programmation ?)

Regards,
Creak
Posted By: MauS Re: Opera 7.11 and irc:// format - 19/05/03 05:04 PM
Opera doesn't support "irc://" format because it is not a standart. It isn't even a protocol, just a shortcut to mIRC program -- so it shouldn't have a protocol syntax. "ircto:" for instance would look better..

We at MyOpera.net (russian Opera fansite) tried to make it understand "irc://", but failed. And it isn't supposed to supply features of a program made by a single person.

Even if it's the most popular IRC client...

Maybe it would be better to use something like
"file://localhost/c:/MIRC/mirc.exe -s irc.server.com -j #chan"
...but to make it somehow not folder-dependable

Maybe something like "Would you like mIRC installer to put the mIRChttp.exe into let mIRC catch the web links to IRC channels?"

Not very ergonomic, but its something...
Posted By: Creak Re: Opera 7.11 and irc:// format - 19/05/03 09:35 PM
I think it's possible to do a plugin for IE and another for Opera that check the link and if a link has the irc:// format then it launch mirc with the good server etc..

Of course, it's better to have a irc:// protocol that works as well as http://... but if there is some other way to bipass this system for a moment and make it works for all navigators while waiting for a system that truly works... maybe it'd be better, don't you think ?

++
Creak
Posted By: MauS Re: Opera 7.11 and irc:// format - 20/05/03 03:36 AM
Plugins would be great
Posted By: rogue Re: Opera 7.11 and irc:// format - 21/05/03 01:52 AM
Hi MauS... Have a look-see here. Granted it's just an IETF Draft but even W3C references it.

As for "supporting" the IRC:// URL scheme, no browser should be expected to handle it - but I'd hope that it would pass it off to the system like any other unrecognized or unsupported protocol.
Posted By: MauS Re: Opera 7.11 and irc:// format - 21/05/03 03:11 AM
Woo hoo, seems it'd be better to write to Opera Wishlist Forum
Posted By: XP1 Re: Opera 7.11 and irc:// format - 02/03/05 02:19 AM
uh
open opera
> Tools > Prefences > Programs And Pathes > Add > type in irc > blah blah blah
© mIRC Discussion Forums