mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Ryulong URL issues - 10/10/13 12:05 PM
In some of the more recent builds of mIRC, I've discovered this really strange bug. If I attempt to open a link in my browser by double clicking, it will attempt to open the link but then nothing happens. Then, I cannot click on any URLs posted within mIRC. I cannot even click on other user's nicks within the chat window or other channel names. I have to close mIRC and reopen it for links to work, again. I cannot figure out what is triggering this weird error. I am currently running 7.32.
Posted By: HorseC Re: URL issues - 10/10/13 11:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Ryulong
If I attempt to open a link in my browser by double clicking

Identify the browser being called please. Also, have you set your browser up to block popup windows (should not matter but who knows).

What operating system version. and what browser version will also help to further identify this problem.
Posted By: Ryulong Re: URL issues - 11/10/13 04:09 PM
Firefox 24.0 and Windows Vista 64-bit

I thought I mentioned that
  • It doesn't happen every single time
  • Closing mIRC and reopening makes it work again
  • This has been happing in the most recent mIRC build and it has never happened before on this computer or in previous versions of Firefox or mIRC

And even if the browser blocks popups (it never has before for firefox) this seems to be something on mIRC's end. I click a link in mIRC, the machine tries to work, nothing happens. Firefox does not load the link. Nothing that would be identified with the pointing finger cursor in mIRC responds and I get the standard arrow cursor.
Posted By: HorseC Re: URL issues - 11/10/13 05:49 PM
Thanks for the additional information. I have firefox here and have yet to have a problem, but will try my best to reproduce it and see if I can find a reason, in the interim hopefully others will have some answer.
Posted By: Khaled Re: URL issues - 13/10/13 09:37 AM
You mention that when this issue happens, you are also no longer able to click on nicknames and channel names. The only reason I can think of for this is a script or addon that is interfering with how hotlinks are handled.

If you install a clean copy of mIRC into a new empty folder, using the portable option in the installer, with no scripts or addons, and test that copy, do you see the same issue?
Posted By: Ryulong Re: URL issues - 13/10/13 12:30 PM
I only experience this issue intermittently and I do not know how to replicate it. I simply attempt to open a link, and then nothing happens. If I restart mIRC it works fine again. I also do not really use scripts or addons. I had one item in the Remote settings that I've just removed seeing as I do not use it anymore, and I do have an addon but it is unloaded 99% of the time. I've never experienced this problem until lately, and I've been using mIRC for years now. I don't see how a script I haven't used in forever is suddenly causing problems when it never did prior to the recent version change.
Posted By: Ryulong Re: URL issues - 19/10/13 02:23 PM
I've experienced the issue after having cleared my Scripts. It attempts to open the link, the program tries to think, but then the link is not opened and everything that I described before still happens. I do not know why this has started happening but this is the first time I've encountered it since my last post.
Posted By: Wims Re: URL issues - 19/10/13 07:43 PM
Which browser are you using and which operating system?
Since there are still ways you could be using something to conflict with this, you should really try a clean install and not just delete what you have in remote.
Try making sure a default browser is set in Windows, try changing the default browser using Windows settings (or just by setting a different browser as the default then) and eventually back to your original browser, see if that makes a difference.
© mIRC Discussion Forums