mIRC Homepage
Posted By: wkw427 Mirc makes my computer lag - 01/07/08 12:02 AM
Previously, I never EVER had this issue.

I had to reset my computer to factory settings (I do this every year), and I reinstalled mirc. I don't like the new version, I can't stand it.
I use version 6.17 and always had. It used to run fine.

Now, I can connect fine, however after a few mins of being connected to a server, my computer goes extremely slow. It takes forever to respond. This is when I have firefox open, and even when I don't have anything else running.

I don't have connection issues, the irc client just lags.. what is wrong?
Posted By: argv0 Re: Mirc makes my computer lag - 01/07/08 12:04 AM
You're probably using some script or DLL that is causing the slowdown.

What is the result of typing the following in mIRC:

//echo -a $md5($mircexe,2) $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0)

On a sidenote, what is it about the new version that you "can't stand"? Is it the many bug fixes? All the new features? Better scripting support?
Posted By: wkw427 Re: Mirc makes my computer lag - 01/07/08 12:21 AM
Originally Posted By: argv0
You're probably using some script or DLL that is causing the slowdown.

What is the result of typing the following in mIRC:

//echo -a $md5($mircexe,2) $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0)

On a sidenote, what is it about the new version that you "can't stand"? Is it the many bug fixes? All the new features? Better scripting support?

Result of echo:

d20dd1be97ee43da4e7efd0030af834f 1 0 0

Really, I don't like the new buttons in 2.0. I'm used to the older version skin.
Posted By: wkw427 Re: Mirc makes my computer lag - 01/07/08 08:02 PM
hello?
Posted By: argv0 Re: Mirc makes my computer lag - 01/07/08 08:32 PM
What operating system?
Posted By: wkw427 Re: Mirc makes my computer lag - 01/07/08 09:17 PM
XP
Posted By: zantetsuken Re: Mirc makes my computer lag - 01/07/08 10:07 PM
should try checking task manager and see whats using all your CPU. making sure its mirc causing it
Posted By: wkw427 Re: Mirc makes my computer lag - 01/07/08 11:28 PM
I can't do that when the lag is going on it is so bad. I don't have anything that would use up my memory, and the only diffirence between when I'm not useing it and when I am, is that I'm useing it.
Posted By: RusselB Re: Mirc makes my computer lag - 02/07/08 12:32 AM
When was the last time you checked your drive for fragmentation?
I have found that, occasionally, having a highly fragmented drive can make my system lag as it takes longer for Windows to find files that are fragmented than when it isn't.

Also see if the lag still comes up if you are running just mIRC. It might be that it's not mIRC that's causing your system to lag, but a combination of a number of programs, each one lagging a little bit, and you're just noticing the lag in mIRC.
Posted By: argv0 Re: Mirc makes my computer lag - 02/07/08 02:42 AM
I agree with the previous posts that your problem could be due to another program. It's possible and probable that another program you're running may act weird when mIRC is running, specifically A/V programs but potentially others. Without actually looking at your cpu usage and seeing mIRC at 100% it's really hard to say that mIRC is at fault here. I've never heard of an issue where a vanilla mIRC caused this kind of problem. You really should be able to hit ctrl-alt-delete responsively even when your computer is running slow. If not, run taskmgr.exe *before* starting mIRC, keep it in the foreground and watch your *processes* window.

On a sidenote, do you have reload logs on with many channels and a lot of logfiles?
Posted By: wkw427 Re: Mirc makes my computer lag - 03/07/08 12:53 AM
I'll keep that in mind. I did defragmentation after I instaled my a/v so my computer was pretty clear
© mIRC Discussion Forums