mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Uairgh Log files not following a chronological order - 29/03/08 04:45 PM
Hey,

I was browsing through my log files yesterday and came to notice that the actual text within the files isn't arranged in a chronological order.

I am on five different channels in two different networks, and every channel has had its log somehow altered. An example of #channel1.log:

- begins from January 5, 2008, random line, continues until January 9
-> goes back to November 28, 2007, continues until January 5, 2008
-> jumps to January 9 and continues chronologically

Other channels date their first markings back to January 5, 2008 as well, but one channel has its first markings from February 27, 2008. Obviously I haven't been able to check every log file thoroughly, but I don't think any actual data has been lost, it's just the dates that seem to be messed up. The pattern above seems to recur with every channel.

I installed mIRC 6.31 and NoNameScript 4.2 around November 28, 2007 and have been logging since that day (naturally the logs should begin here). I have my PC and mIRC on 24/7, and the logs vary from 1 to 8 megabytes in size so they're not overly massive. I am logging into different folders determined by network, stripping codes is enabled and log file trimming is disabled. I have *not* set mIRC to arrange logs by date. My PC has crashed a few times during this period and there have been a few blackouts, but none of these events correlate with the mentioned dates. Actually, I have even been using mIRC when these snaps have taken place.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this, and is this possibly due to mIRC's buggy behaviour? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted By: Uairgh
Has anyone experienced anything similar to this,

Yes, I experienced it all the time, with all my past mIRC versions.

I wonder if I should be bold enough to say it is a known bug.

-Neal.
I've never had logs messed up in 7 years almost non-stop logging. It may be due to how I log (I sort by network and log each day as a new file), but that may not be the actual reason that I don't have a problem.

I know someone who just recently had the problem in 6.31, though. All of his log is there, but the line order is incorrect. We verified it by comparing his logs to mine for the same channel.
© mIRC Discussion Forums