mIRC Homepage
Posted By: turnip Newb Question - 09/02/08 05:25 PM
When chatting in the main channel and someone makes a statement directed towards you (i.e. yournick: msg), how does one easily reply to that so they see it clearly? (i.e. theirnick: msg)

I've just been typing in their nick like a sucker. Maybe that's just how to do it, but it seems there's an easier way that I just don't know about.

Halp please. thanks! smile
Posted By: Mentality Re: Newb Question - 09/02/08 05:34 PM
mIRC has a built in nick completer, so you type the first couple of letters of the person's nickname and then press the TAB key. If several people match those first couple of letters press TAB to cycle through the list.

You can get scripted nick completers too which add all those colours you sometimes see. Yucky in my opinion smile
Posted By: turnip Re: Newb Question - 09/02/08 09:56 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the info! smile
Posted By: Gremel Re: Newb Question - 10/02/08 04:57 AM
Or you could also do something like this in your alias section:

/r /say @ $+ $1 $+ => $2-

Then when ever you wish to respond to someone, you would type this:

/r nick message

ie) /r Joe Yes would return @Joe=> Yes
Posted By: LostShadow Re: Newb Question - 10/02/08 05:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Gremel
Or you could also do something like this in your alias section:

/r /say @ $+ $1 $+ => $2-

Then when ever you wish to respond to someone, you would type this:

/r nick message

ie) /r Joe Yes would return @Joe=> Yes

That would just cause confusion on the @ meaning you're replying to the person, or that person is an op.

Neal Conroy.
Posted By: The_JD Re: Newb Question - 11/02/08 04:03 PM
I disagree, I know many people who use @ to address someone... and its easy to see...

Really want someones attention? Try CTRL+R. A little annoying though.
Posted By: LostShadow Re: Newb Question - 11/02/08 05:35 PM
Originally Posted By: The_JD
I disagree, I know many people who use @ to address someone... and its easy to see...

I detect your 2nd reason to be a +0 in supporting your conclusion, of "I disagree."

And your 1st reason doesn't seem to be much weight. Taking a sample of a population doesn't tell you much.

Originally Posted By: The_JD
Really want someones attention? Try CTRL+R. A little annoying though.

If some people have nick highlighters for $me separated by spaces, ($chr(32)), then saying their nick in $+ color won't trigger it.
Posted By: The_JD Re: Newb Question - 11/02/08 07:31 PM
@LostShadow : lol

I don't really think people should try and write to support someones highlight list, I think the highlight list should be looking for the nickname. but thats just IMHO.

Anyway, There are a pile of ways you can write it.

OP: Tab is definately the easiest and you shouldnt have to go too far out of the way as most people on IRC read every line anyway.
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Newb Question - 11/02/08 10:09 PM
Exactly. Unless the channel is so active that text is scrolling constantly, people generally notice what people say to them if they are there. If they aren't there, any amount of highlighting isn't going to help.

If the person you are talking to is not paying attention to what you're saying, then complain to the person. It's like talking to someone and they're turning on the TV and watching it without paying attention to what you're saying.

Personally, I think nick highlighters with tab completion work just fine for the situations where you want it to stand out.
Posted By: 5arah Re: Newb Question - 13/02/08 07:24 PM
what does Ctrl+R do?
Posted By: RoCk Re: Newb Question - 13/02/08 08:34 PM

It Reverses the text color and background color.

Type: /help crontrol+r
© mIRC Discussion Forums