mIRC Homepage
Posted By: PCZero Multiple 6.31 Issues... - 07/11/07 08:22 PM
1) How do I get rid of the god awful new icons and get the much cleaner and easier on the eyes ones back? (The new ones look like they were drawn by a 1st grader with those big fat crayons, HORRID to look at.) We should learn that changing things just "cuz it wud b 2 kewl 2 do" is NOT a good reason to change. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

2) When I close mIRC and then restart it later, all of the conversation from previous sessions is still displayed in each channel? Im not sure who would ever want all that garbage clagging up the channels or hogging up their hard rive but how the heck do I turn that 'feature' off?

3) The 'Clear History' link in the File - Recent Servers menu does not work. By default there are about 15 servers listed and I want to clear that out. The 'feature' is broken as it does not clear the list.

4) How do I get rid of the line that randomly shows up in every window?

Thats it for now...
Thanks
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Multiple 6.31 Issues... - 07/11/07 08:31 PM
1) As mentioned in a previous topic, you cannot. However, you *can* make your own buttons or download other ones to use. And I have to disagree with your opinion on the icons. I will admit that without a background, they may be a little harder to see, but you can add a nice background and they look just fine. They are also very crisp. Most people who complain about them just haven't gotten used to them yet and within a short period of time no longer notice them being different.

2) Turn off the reload logs option. Alt-O > IRC > Logging.

4) Turn off the Line Marker. Alt-O > Display > Options > Line Marker.
Posted By: PCZero Re: Multiple 6.31 Issues... - 07/11/07 08:36 PM
Thanks for the help on items 3/4. However the comments on item 1 are totally absurd, add MORE fluff and glitz to make the NEW fluff and glitz look 'better'? I laugh! The reason many people use mIRC is because it has NOT fallen to the trap that many other IRC clients have. That being trying to look all glitzy and fluffy rather than being plain, clean, simple, and working right! Now I see mIRC is starting down that path as well. The new icons are way crappy. Those colors are totally horrid and besides there was no reason what so ever to change them other than to say "Gee look at the kewl changes we made". Typical stuff you see by lame programmers who have nothing to add but want to look like they did something. If its so easy to cahnge can someone please outline how it is possible and also answer why in the world they were changed in the first place?
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: Multiple 6.31 Issues... - 07/11/07 08:42 PM
Quote:
1) How do I get rid of the god awful new icons and get the much cleaner and easier on the eyes ones back? (The new ones look like they were drawn by a 1st grader with those big fat crayons, HORRID to look at.) We should learn that changing things just "cuz it wud b 2 kewl 2 do" is NOT a good reason to change. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

It's not a change for change's sake. mIRC had been using old icons for in excess of 10 years, the aesthetic of the Windows UI has changed drastically since then, leaving mIRC's old icons looking very much out of place on any resonably new version of Windows (at least XP onwards). Because of this a lot of people wanted the change and from what I've seen the response has been overwhelmingly positive (you're only the second person I've seen who doesn't like them). In any case, if you want to use the old toolbar icons you can probably find the bitmap image of the old icons in the correct format online. Once you've found and downloaded it, right click the toolbar in mIRC and go to Buttons, then Select.. and choose the bitmap of the old icons. The other icons (switchbar etc.) can't be changed easily, but quite frankly they're not that much different from the old ones anyway.

Quote:
2) When I close mIRC and then restart it later, all of the conversation from previous sessions is still displayed in each channel? Im not sure who would ever want all that garbage clagging up the channels or hogging up their hard rive but how the heck do I turn that 'feature' off?

Well I don't know why you chat if you consider your conversations "garbage", and the space taken up by logs is infitesimal compared to modern hard drive capacities, but OK, your choice I guess. To disable these features go to the mIRC Options dialog, on the side-treebar select IRC, then Logging, and then:
- Set the Reload logsdropdown to None to stop the logs being reloaded into chats
- Set the Automatically log dropdown to None to stop the logs being kept at all (and dream of what you can do with that extra 2MB of HDD space!)

Quote:
3) The 'Clear History' link in the File - Recent Servers menu does not work. By default there are about 15 servers listed and I want to clear that out. The 'feature' is broken as it does not clear the list.

The Clear History link works fine. The menu will simply list the first dozen or so servers from servers.ini in alphabetical order if you clear the list.

Quote:
4) How do I get rid of the line that randomly shows up in every window?

I assume you mean the line marker. Go to the mIRC Options dialog, on the side-treebar select Display, then Options, and then press the Line Marker... button. Then uncheck the Show line marker checkbox.
Posted By: PCZero Re: Multiple 6.31 Issues... - 07/11/07 08:51 PM
I don't buy it. The point that 'everyone else is doing it' is exactly why many have stayed with mIRC. It has stayed clean, simple, and kept functionality over presentation. So you are making my point for me with your reply. It IS just an issue of keeping up with MicroSoft, which is a stupid reason to do anything. I am not a MS hater by any means (although I do think Vista and IE7 blow goats, more presentation over content), but to simply make wholesale changes in 'your' program just to 'look like' a MicroSoft product is totally absurd.

Having said all that, if someone were to share the 'appropriate format' for the button graphics ratehr than just say 'go see if you can find them', it would be a whole lot easier for folks to put mIRC back to the cleaner look. Im not sure who all has this knowledge and why they hav chosen not to disclose it but it would be the user friendly thing to do.

(PS sorry for the bad typing, three broken finger on the right hand.)
Posted By: PCZero Re: Multiple 6.31 Issues... - 07/11/07 08:56 PM
Originally Posted By: starbucks_mafia

Quote:

Well I don't know why you chat if you consider your conversations "garbage", and the space taken up by logs is infitesimal compared to modern hard drive capacities, but OK, your choice I guess. To disable these features go to the mIRC Options dialog, on the side-treebar select IRC, then Logging, and then:
- Set the Reload logsdropdown to None to stop the logs being reloaded into chats
- Set the Automatically log dropdown to None to stop the logs being kept at all (and dream of what you can do with that extra 2MB of HDD space!)

I never said my conversations are garbage. (You ought to consider being a politician, you are pretty good at spinning.) What I said was that old conversations that I had days, weeks, months, or yeras ago are garbage. I dont need to see that nor do I need to waste my hard drive space storing it. If I allowed every application I used to grab and keep drive space as it deemed appropriate Id soon run out. I see you fail to recognize things in the larger picture. Thats ashamed it will come back to bite you in life at some point.
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: Multiple 6.31 Issues... - 07/11/07 09:10 PM
I didn't say anything about doing something because Microsoft is. But it's fundamental design that applications should look appropriate in their surroundings. I think you'll find most people use mIRC for it's unmatched functionality and extendability, not because of how it's icons looked.
Posted By: PCZero Re: Multiple 6.31 Issues... - 07/11/07 09:13 PM
I didn't say anything about doing something because Microsoft is. But it's fundamental design that applications should look appropriate in their surroundings. I think you'll find most people use mIRC for it's unmatched functionality and extendability, not because of how it's icons looked.

The exact thing I am saying is absurd. Software should not be coded to 'look pretty', it should be cided to WORK RIGHT. The icon change was nothing mroe than a 'look pretty' issue. Some like it, many don't. Its merely dumbing down and prettying up mIRC to the level of AOHell. Im glad you like the new look so much. That still does nto tell me what the 'appropriate format' is for icon graphics though.
Posted By: RoCk Re: Multiple 6.31 Issues... - 07/11/07 09:29 PM

Did you get as bent out of shape when it was changed from to ?

~ Edit ~

How about when color support was added?
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: Multiple 6.31 Issues... - 07/11/07 09:32 PM
Why is changing the icons "dumbing down"? What is dumber because of the change? So what if it is "prettying up"? You make it sound like that's such a terrible thing. I'm not particularly bothered by aesthetics personally, I was perfectly happy with the old icons. But the new ones do look better. If you don't think so, that's fine, but trying to make out that changing the icons is a terrible thing is just ridiculous.

The mIRC toolbar.bmp is available here. Although why I had to search for it for you is beyond me. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one with access to Google, right?
Posted By: PCZero Re: Multiple 6.31 Issues... - 07/11/07 09:40 PM
Why is changing the icons "dumbing down"? What is dumber because of the change? So what if it is "prettying up"? You make it sound like that's such a terrible thing. I'm not particularly bothered by aesthetics personally, I was perfectly happy with the old icons. But the new ones do look better. If you don't think so, that's fine, but trying to make out that changing the icons is a terrible thing is just ridiculous.

The mIRC toolbar.bmp is available here. Although why I had to search for it for you is beyond me. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one with access to Google, right?

Google didnt come installed on my computer! :P

Thank you for the link.
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Multiple 6.31 Issues... - 08/11/07 02:55 AM
Originally Posted By: PCZero
However the comments on item 1 are totally absurd, add MORE fluff and glitz to make the NEW fluff and glitz look 'better'? I laugh!

What you wrote is a bit more absurd than what I wrote. I told you how to solve the issue by loading the ORIGINAL buttons (if you find an image of them) or by making your own or using others that YOU like. Your response suggests that any choice of buttons would be "fluff and glitz". Obviously, that's not true because if it was then you wouldn't like ANY button images. The point is that you can load whatever images you want and the assumption is that you will load the ones that you do NOT think are "fluff and glitz". smirk

In any case, you can use a single image for all buttons the way Invision does, or you can use individual images for each button by setting them up using /toolbar. /help /toolbar.
© mIRC Discussion Forums