mIRC Homepage
Posted By: ispukikoy optimize MIRC - 27/07/07 03:20 PM
How do we optimize MIRC?
It seems mine (version 6.21) the latest version
is running quite sluggish at times. It has Tat's Trivia Bot running on. I'm on P4, windows XP SP2 with 1 Gig Ram.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: xDaeMoN Re: optimize MIRC - 27/07/07 06:32 PM
Some factors could be the script that is loaded in your bot's mIRC or maybe because of the internet connection or due to the server your bot is connected to.
Posted By: ispukikoy Re: optimize MIRC - 27/07/07 06:44 PM
Hmm... thank you for that input...
I only run tat's trivia bot that accesses a question file of 42 MB.. aside from that, i only run a !seen script... that's all...
the server i am connecting to is quite fast www.gay.com and i am on DSL...

I observe that it became more sluggish when I lenghten the question file and it became 42 mb in size and when i added the
!seen script.
Posted By: NaquadaServ Re: optimize MIRC - 28/07/07 12:48 AM
Disk access is painfully slow compared to ram (especially when mIRC is doing the accessing)... With such a large data file and since you have so much ram, you would benefit from loading the entire file into memory by using a hash table (for lack of a better mIRC data structure).
Posted By: ispukikoy Re: optimize MIRC - 28/07/07 01:34 PM
so what am i gonna do with " you would benefit from loading the entire file into memory by using a hash table"

I dont understand frown
Posted By: RusselB Re: optimize MIRC - 30/07/07 04:43 AM
Regretfully, Tat's trivia, or at least the version that I have, is configured to use the information from the disk, rather than a hash table.
Someone might want to re-write the script to use a hash table, but I'm not going to do it at the moment (just too long a day).

If you're knowledgeable about scripting, you might look at /help hash tables
Posted By: ispukikoy Re: optimize MIRC - 30/07/07 02:10 PM
OK.. Now I understand. Thanks RusselB. I dont have the knowledge on scripting, so I guess I might have to bear with the script accessing data from disk rather than hash table.

Thank you so much and regards.
© mIRC Discussion Forums