mIRC Homepage
Posted By: CrackinStine mIRC Virus? - 25/03/07 04:10 PM
I have been using mirc for about 3 years, and just 2 days ago, something wierd happend. aparently a virus got my mirc.. or something, because my virus scanner ended up deleating all the mirc icons on my comp, as well as a few other random ones...

But now I can't use mirc, I tried to reload it but virus alert pops up as soon as its installed. and boom its gone again..

Virus name: not-a-virus:Client-IRC.Win32.mIRC.621

Any ideas?
Crack.
Posted By: HuMoR Re: mIRC Virus? - 25/03/07 04:11 PM
Do you use Kaspersky antivirus?

Posted By: CrackinStine Re: mIRC Virus? - 25/03/07 04:27 PM
Zone Alarm, its like a all in one.
Posted By: HuMoR Re: mIRC Virus? - 25/03/07 04:39 PM
Originally Posted By: CrackinStine
Zone Alarm, its like a all in one.

Search the exceptions. And make the mirc.exe exception.
For Kaspersky Antivirus MaFi0s0 say in http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=6399

Quote:

used to know mIRC scripting inside and out, and it is posible to run mIRC(with a script preloaded) and have it wipe out your whole computer on next reboot, just by running the mIRC.exe file, it is also posible to get mIRC to download and execute files from the internet.

But isn't a virus...

Cya!.-
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: mIRC Virus? - 25/03/07 05:39 PM
Just as the "virus" name says, mIRC is not a virus. Some anti-virus software will treat mIRC as if it were a virus because it can be considered riskware, which means that mIRC can be used to run malicious scripts (only if you decide to download and run a malicious/unknown script) and has in the past been used as a payload for some trojans.

From your post it seems clear you've intentionally downloaded and installed mIRC so it's clearly not a trojan, the only other question you need to ask yourself is whether you've run any mIRC scripts where you don't know exactly what they're doing. If you have, unload the relevant scripts from mIRC and delete them. If you haven't, just tell your AV software to make an exception for mIRC.
Posted By: CrackinStine Re: mIRC Virus? - 25/03/07 05:52 PM
Didn't Change anything. When I tried to install it again it made like the program wasn't even there. well after it finished...

Gr.. Maby instaling an older verson of mirc?

hmph...
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: mIRC Virus? - 25/03/07 06:10 PM
Your antivirus was probably updated, so now it treats mIRC as a virus. You will need to make mIRC an exception before trying to install it, or just get a different AV program.
Posted By: CrackinStine Re: mIRC Virus? - 25/03/07 06:17 PM
Nah basicly all the scripts I have on there I have edited and looked through and over every detail, so I know everything thats on it.

The thing is, when i install it, my virus alert automaticly Grabs it and alerts me, the second its on there, it's never done this before till just recently.

The virus has a information link too...
Zone alarm Info link

PS: I can't and dont really want to get a new one I paid for this one I got service with it for the next year, and it has proved GOOD thus far. Unless I should get a 2nd av program. actualy I do have a 2nd but I rarly run it. its Fix-It Utilities 7 Professional. rarly used because It takes Hours to scan.
Posted By: HuMoR Re: mIRC Virus? - 25/03/07 06:35 PM
Originally Posted By: CrackinStine
Didn't Change anything. When I tried to install it again it made like the program wasn't even there. well after it finished...

Gr.. Maby instaling an older verson of mirc?

hmph...

Runoff your antivirus, reinstall mirc and make the exception in the antivirus, then run your antivirus again...

Cya!.-
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: mIRC Virus? - 25/03/07 07:19 PM
I would guess that the reason it's doing it now is because your AV software has auto-updated and the updated version classifies mIRC as a virus. If you look at the ZoneAlarm forum and Kapersky Labs forum (ZoneAlarm uses the Kapersky AV Engine) there are others who have experienced the same issue. I haven't used ZoneAlarm for a few years so I can't tell you exactly how to exclude mIRC being scanned and quarantined but judging by the ZA forum link above it's definitely possible.
Posted By: CrackinStine Re: mIRC Virus? - 25/03/07 08:16 PM
Malware Discussion Board said: You can just add it to the exclusion list. "Not a virus...." are not malware per se but applications that can be used to spread malware. This is why they are flagged as such ("not a virus"). You can exclude the detection of ALL "not a virus" by unchecking "enable extended databases" in advanced options of the "Antivirus/Antispyware" Tab.

-----

Looks like its working, thanks for the help guys, If anything else happens I will be posting here again.
Later guys
Crack.

© mIRC Discussion Forums