mIRC Homepage
Posted By: grs Connection error - 24/03/07 07:29 PM
I keep getting an error message saying:-

Unable to resolve server.

Whats causing this?
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Connection error - 24/03/07 08:22 PM
That usually means that you don't have an internet connection or that mIRC is blocked from connecting (such as from a firewall or router).
Posted By: grs Re: Connection error - 24/03/07 08:44 PM
The defualt port in mirc is 6667 so I should set the router to allow that port right?

-Edit-

I have been in touch with Linksys and they seem to think that my router is faulty. It doesn't seem to be opening ports although it says they are in the router settings.
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Connection error - 25/03/07 06:08 PM
Hopefully, they are willing to replace it.

Anyhow, you don't need to forward connection ports (such as 6667).
Posted By: grs Re: Connection error - 26/03/07 11:23 PM
I've just tryied mIRC on a dial-up connection with no router and I get the same error message so maybe the problem is not with the router. I'll try and get a new new one from Linksys all the same wink Any other ideas what could be causing the problem, maybe with Windows settings?
Posted By: RusselB Re: Connection error - 26/03/07 11:37 PM
The main cause of this with a dial-up connection, from my own experience, is simply due to the lag involved with dial-up.
Lag is the biggest reason I don't use dial-up much, and the only reason I have dial-up access is because it comes as part of the package I got from my ISP.
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Connection error - 27/03/07 12:57 AM
Try connecting to the server's IP instead of the DNS and see if that helps. That should help if it's a lag issue with dialup.
© mIRC Discussion Forums