mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Segosa Immense CPU usage after several days usage - 04/06/05 09:51 PM
I've been using mIRC for almost two years now, and have always enjoyed mIRC scripting. Currently I have around ~3000 lines of mIRC script, and 99% of it is coded myself. ~1000 of those lines are aliases. The rest are simple events like on TEXT, CTCPs, but no HOTLINKs.

It used to be fine. I could keep mIRC open for several weeks without decreases in performance, but lately after several days it puts a huge dent in my computer's performance. It happens slowly, after the first day it's slightly laggy, but then after another day even worse, until after around one week my entire system becomes lagged.

In task manager I can see it's due to CPU usage which reaches a peak of 30%, and hovers around that area.

I used to be connected to around 10 IRC networks, maybe 12, but after this started happening I thought that might have been the reason, so I cut that down to around 8. However, my system's performance still decreased over time.

Around 5 minutes ago I realised mIRC was hogging my CPU again, and I was on 7 servers. I closed mIRC, and as usual, noticed a HUGE increase in the responsiveness of my PC. I am 100% sure it's mIRC causing this, as little as I want to admit it.

I thought it might be scripts, but I really can't see how. I don't believe that NoNameScript (no, I don't use that..) causes mIRC to lag, and that has many more lines of mIRC script.

I've tried decreasing the amount of servers, as I said above, but I am now at 6 and that is as low as I can go. I am on an average of 30 channels.

I have a bot running on mIRC too (different install) and that never causes any problems, even after running for several weeks.

Perhaps someone else has experienced something like this. I really hope I can fix this as having to restart mIRC every few days just to keep my system responding fast is really annoying.

Processor: P4 - 1.79GHz
768MB RAM
mIRC 6.16

(If I've missed anything relevant let me know..)

So anyone have any ideas? smirk
Quote:
If I've missed anything relevant let me know..

Are you loading any DLL's ?
Not on startup, no. I have my own dll used for showing what I'm listening to, which is called when needed. But that wouldn't cause problems, since I wrote it myself and all it does is SendMessage() to Winamp.
Couple of days later and mIRC is lagging me again. frown

This really, really sucks.
With that many channels, I'd make sure to have the buffer quite small and to make sure not to log all the channels (especially if they are very active channels).

I'd also try seeing how many timers you have running and how many variables are in your variables list. Having too many variables can cause a huge performance hit.

Other than that, try running mIRC with remotes off for a few days (or however long it is before you see the problem) and see if it still gives you issues. If not, then it's script-related.
I found that if I minimised every child window of the main mIRC one, it didn't lag as much. I've done that, and I only leave the ones I look at often maximised, occasionally minimising them all again to keep the lag down.

I have no timers running, and no variables in my variables list.

If my 'solution' above doesn't work I'm going to try to turn remotes off. Thanks.
© mIRC Discussion Forums