mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Poppy Weird happenings... - 16/02/03 01:58 PM
My friend is having a very weird problem, and I'm not sure what's causing it. What's happening is that he's getting a very strange dialog box pop up on his screen, telling him that it's from a mobile phone directly to his ip, and to text message 'Kelly' on the given number. I've never heard of this kind of thing happening to anyone before, and I find it VERY weird. I sent him along to the help channels, which frankly weren't much help. I also got him to do a virus scan and install and run 'TheCleaner', both showed nothing. I also advised him to check his firewall logs to see if he can trace anything. His g/f has been in new-ish channel lately, where a bot messages people telling them to go to a website and input details so that they can be added to the 'database'. I went in the channel and saw the message too, although I ignored it for obvious reasons. I'm thinking that this probably has something to do with his problem, and basically need to know if anyone has any idea what's going on, and what he can do about it.
Posted By: The_Game Re: Weird happenings... - 16/02/03 02:02 PM
Is it possible that the person in question has a pager and can receive messages via the internet through a messenger? I know msn, and ICQ messengers do this cause my girlfriend had the option to receive messages that are intended for a mobile device like a pager to come up like a dialog on her messengers that I had paged her. I dont know if this helps any just thought id pass it on if by chance this does help.
Posted By: Skip Re: Weird happenings... - 16/02/03 02:06 PM
do the windows have the title "Messenger Service" ?

If so your friend is being spammed with the until-recently overlooked windows Net Send 'functionality', this can be disabled by running "Services" from the control panel and finding and disabling the "Messenger" (make sure its disabled from launching at startup too) service, or typing 'net stop messenger' in command prompt.

Your friend may have also installed a browser hijacker, which could pop up any number of nasty javascript windows or popups.

Edit: Eye Speel Godd. :P
Posted By: Poppy Re: Weird happenings... - 16/02/03 02:07 PM
Yep, I know about msn alerts to mobile devices, and that's the only messenger service he uses, even then it's very infrequently. I don't see how it would show up on IRC though - that's the worrying part. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll look into that and see if it could be a possibility. Maybe I'm just paranoid, lol
Posted By: Poppy Re: Weird happenings... - 16/02/03 02:09 PM
Thanks Skip - I'll ask him when he's next on, cos I just logged back on and he's disappeared. crazy
Posted By: Phant0m Re: Weird happenings... - 16/02/03 05:56 PM
Definitely seems by the way you discussing this that “Messenger” is being abused, not MSN Messenger but the “Messenger” Service which used to “Transmits net send and Alerter service messages between clients and servers. This service is not related to Windows Messenger. If this service is stopped, Alerter messages will not be transmitted. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.”.

It can easily be triggered knowing your IP which one can get from IRC, however there’s Mass Messenger programs which sends to all in *.domain ranges depending on their specifications. However, thus would mean the users Software Firewall is poorly configured. Properly configured Software Firewall blocks all Remotely started connections Stone Cold whether it’s Scans/Hacks/Nuke Attempts they all Blocked Stone Cold!

I suppose it could be a funky Infection, but you would be required to-do more then Install and Scan your Local HDD’s, you would be required to Install/Configure/Update and then Scan ALL Local HDD’s.

For an Example; The Cleaner upon Installation you would execute it, and click "Options" and select "Scanning" tab and check "Scan for hidden executables", and "Scan inside compressed files" if you wish. Then go-to "Update" tab and Enable "Check for updates at startup", The Click “OK” button and then click on the “Update” button. Afterwards Select “Scan Local fixed drives” and click “Scan” Button.

You can try disabling the Messenger Services, by going to Start Menu\Run and Entering in “services.msc” and clicking “OK” Button. Scan through find “Messenger” and double click on the specific line and click "Stop" Button, then select "Disabled" for "Startup type:" then click OK button.
Posted By: Poppy Re: Weird happenings... - 16/02/03 06:17 PM
Thanks Phant0m - I've directed my pal to this forum, so he can read all of this rather than me relay stuff back and forth to him. Hopefully he'll get to the bottom of it fairly soon.
Posted By: GodGell Re: Weird happenings... - 16/02/03 11:04 PM
heh smile
i have a gprs mobile phone. if the phone is plugged to the computer, and i start them, a dialog appears. (sorry if the text are buggy, but i am not know really english and my win is hungarian and i can't translate the Hungarian message to English correctly :P) with this message (* is my phonenumber):

New Hardware - Ericcson R600

Windows detected a new hardware on the computer.
Ericcson R600 - GodGell, *

smile
© mIRC Discussion Forums