mIRC Homepage
Posted By: barryf Can't install mIRC :( - 13/12/02 09:17 PM
Hi all,

I hope a nice guru can help me with my problem.
I am trying to install mIRC v6.03 on my Win2K machine but the installation program hangs every time. It hangs when the progress bar is at 100% and the status reads "Extracting file: urls.ini". It will just sit there forever. After I kill it is appears that the files are installed under Program Files but no icons are created.

Any and all replies are appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Barry
Posted By: Cobra Re: Can't install mIRC :( - 13/12/02 09:26 PM
although i cant offer a solution to completing the instalation

i can let you know that it may not be nessicary, the neat thing about mirc is that as long as you have the mirc.exe program file, even on a system that mirc is not instaled on, mirc will do everything it needs to do when you run that file for the first time, from seting up registry setings, to generating files and folders in its home directory that are required for mirc to run smile

so as long as you have the mirc.exe program file extracted sucessfuly all you have to do is run it and mirc should work perfectly smile

Cobra^
Posted By: Merlin Re: Can't install mIRC :( - 13/12/02 09:36 PM
A few hints:
  • Make sure you have mIRC downloaded from www.mirc.com/get.html
  • Reboot your computer - so no other program might cause this error
  • After Reboot do not start any programs
  • Start the installation again by runing mirc603.exe

Maybe this solves your problems - if not try Cobra's hint - but there might be a slight chance that the mirc.exe file is corrupt due the non-finished installation.
Posted By: Krejt Re: Can't install mIRC :( - 14/12/02 07:20 AM
See what Cobra says; at the point where the urls.ini file is extracted the mirc.exe has been succesfully extracted already and will be found in your mIRC directory. (Merlin: it will not be corrupt) The urls.ini file is not important for mIRC to work. After extracting the urls.ini the final thing the installer would have done is to set up some icons and shortcuts to mIRC. I bet you're able to do that by hand, Barry?

So far almost every time we receive an email about the install program freezing, it's due to a user running Norton anti-virus in the background. Norton anti-virus seems to be a little trigger happy and often blocks the mIRC installation. Might this be your problem?

Most installation processes that specifically stop with urls.ini extract problems are caused by DDE conflicts with applications running in the background during mIRC's installation. As clearly advised when installing mIRC; close all (*all*) other applications before you start mIRC's installation.
Posted By: barryf Re: Can't install mIRC :( - 14/12/02 09:16 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied.

I did a clean reboot and I'm not running Norton AntiVirus (but I am running McAfee) and it still hangs frown

But the mIRC executable does get installed and it seems to work so I am happy for now. Thank you!

Barry
Posted By: DazedandConfused Re: Can't install mIRC :( - 22/06/03 01:58 AM
Well, I too am running McAffee, which I am now convinced is the evil spawn of Satan....

From the time I installed it my ability to SEND via DCC has ceased. I reconfigured everything, trying to allow port access through McAfee, to no avail. Tried turning it all off completely...doesn't work. I have noticed that I am not coming through on Ident when connecting to servers..."could not locate or identify," something to that effect.

So, I tried to delete and reinstall mIRC..which is a laugh...now I can't install.

Unlike the person before me, mine does not install anywhere. It hangs and that's it. There is nothing. I am no mIRCless and completely distraught. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nicole
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Can't install mIRC :( - 22/06/03 06:54 AM
Sounds like something is blocking the port needed for identd, which is port 113

re installing: turn Mcaffee OFF, disable it and anything else running in the background before you try the install. (you may want to get a clean download of mIRC just in case there was a prob with the download)

note: you said you deleted mIRC, did you just delete or did you do an uninstall thru windows?
Posted By: DazedandConfused Re: Can't install mIRC :( - 22/06/03 05:20 PM
I checked with my dsl provider...nothing there is blocking 113. I tried to go into the options in McAfee and open the port, as it has it many of the ports were blocked there. It is showing that it is open.

I have tried disabling McAfee, turning it off using CNTL+ALT+DEL, you name it, and the install will not continue. However, I did find the mIRC program...I wasn't looking in the right place.

Still getting "unable to locate host." Any ideas on the port problem?

Many thanks,
Nicole
Posted By: DazedandConfused Re: Can't install mIRC :( - 22/06/03 05:31 PM
Oops forgot...I used the Add/Remove Programs feature to remove mirc.
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Can't install mIRC :( - 23/06/03 06:16 PM
Just an FYI, when you forget to add something to a post, you have a couple hours to edit it rather than making a new post.

As Krejt said, the urls.ini isnt important for mIRC to run, mIRC is installed (since you said you found it) you will just need to add the icon/shortcut onto your desktop manually.

If you are having a prob resolving host, in mIRC type: /help local info and double check your settings by those instructions.

You will need to be sure mcafee is allowing mIRC, and the servers ports used are generally 6660-6669,7000-7001 and 113. When connecting, be sure you are trying to connect to a currently linked specific server as they do change on a regular basis.
© mIRC Discussion Forums