mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Silver_Platinum Mirc DCC causes reboot - 09/08/04 07:08 AM
Hi all,
I downloaded the latest version of mIRC and whenever a friend tries to DCC me a home video file and the download has been running for a while my pc just restarts, now this is definitley caused my Mirc's DCC. How can I fix this problem please help!

Thanks
Posted By: shadowdemon Re: Mirc DCC causes reboot - 09/08/04 08:20 AM
Hi, What OS (Operating System) do you have ??

If its XP, then do the following

Goto your system properties, press right mouse button on "My Computer" on the desktop, and then look for the tabs called "Advanced", click that and you should see a bunch of stuff to do with Startup & Recovery, click on the settings button for this, and then in the new box that opens up uncheck "Automatically Reset".
See if that fixes the problem, if not must be something else.

If you are using some other OS, ie Win98/ME then i`m unsure and maybe someone else can help you.

Also try virus scanning and seaching for Spyware on your system.

ShadowDemon
Posted By: CtrlAltDel Re: Mirc DCC causes reboot - 09/08/04 03:15 PM
<quote>Goto your system properties, press right mouse button on "My Computer" on the desktop, select properties and then look for the tabs called "Advanced", click that and you should see a bunch of stuff to do with Startup & Recovery, click on the settings button for this, and then in the new box that opens up uncheck "Automatically Reset". </quote>

Works for Windows 2000 also smile
Posted By: jrichter73 Re: Mirc DCC causes reboot - 10/08/04 08:12 AM
All that will do is give the BSOD instead of the reboot. This issue has kept me from using and purchasing mirc frown
Posted By: Coolkill Re: Mirc DCC causes reboot - 10/08/04 09:55 AM
You are right smile, although personally I prefer the BSOD instead of a auto-reboot (which is stupid), the BSOD will at the very least provide some sort of error message that can be looked up.

Eamonn.
Posted By: jrichter73 Re: Mirc DCC causes reboot - 10/08/04 10:19 AM
lol I have yet to make any sense of the crap bsod spits out hehe wink

But yeah it's ruined mirc for me frown
Posted By: Coolkill Re: Mirc DCC causes reboot - 10/08/04 12:14 PM
I dont think anyone gets much sense from BSOD, except maybe mr. Gates, however the first few words in BSOD contain an 'ERROR NUMBER' (or something equilivent).

Which google will more often than not help you either get to the correct Microsoft Knowledgebase webpage or direct you to some forums which may help.

Eamonn.
© mIRC Discussion Forums