mIRC Homepage
Posted By: heho /say command - 22/07/04 12:59 AM
Hey all,

I've stumbled over something that i find puzzling, with the truncating of white space in mirc.

If, I just in the main channel window type: . . (period 10 white spaces period) I see 10 white spaces in the channel, but when I type /say . . (period 10 white spaces period) I see only 1 space in the channel. Is there a particular reason for this?

Pleas see attached URL

http://learn.senecac.on.ca/~awmcquig/test.jpg

Does this in in versions 6.14, 6.15, 6.16.
Posted By: Coolkill Re: /say command - 22/07/04 01:22 AM
All the mIRC commands/aliases/whatnot, dont handle/parse doublespace or more.

It is actually the /say command removing the spaces, whereby just typing .(spaces). doesnt call /say, and as a result the spaces arent removed.

Eamonn.
Posted By: heho Re: /say command - 22/07/04 01:25 AM
I'm familiar with the fact that they don't parse white spaces, just wondering why I can type one command and have it show up, and then use a built-in command and it doesn't produce the same results. Can sometimes be very annoying when coding. Any easy work arounds other than inserting the ASCII value 34 for white space?
Posted By: Coolkill Re: /say command - 22/07/04 01:28 AM
$chr(32) is actually a whitespace.

A work around is to use a 'hard-space', which is $chr(160) which mIRC does not parse.

Eamonn.
Posted By: Mentality Re: /say command - 22/07/04 01:45 AM
As an added note, to save typing, for example, 10 $chr(160)s, you can use something like //say . $str($chr(160),10) . and it will do '10' $chr(160) for you.

Regards,
Posted By: heho Re: /say command - 22/07/04 07:49 PM
Thanks for all your help guys,

I have one more question, the reason for me asking this question.

Basically what is happening is i'm setting a variable from the $sdir command. The directory that I choose is D:\. (6 white spaces) MOVIES\

Is there a way to get the variable to be written as . (6 whitespaces) MOVIES\ ? confused

- heho
Posted By: Kelder Re: /say command - 23/07/04 11:48 AM
//set %t $+(.,$str($chr(32),6),m)

This gets it in a variable %t, however, if you do //echo -s %t it would still show up wrong, while doing %t<tab> in a editbox would get the correct contents...
© mIRC Discussion Forums