mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Ford_Prefect2nd v5.7 wont go away - 12/12/02 06:35 AM
I have Mirc v5.7 by Khaled. Despite searching the pc for Mirc, not finding it in add remove probrams and it not being in msconfig; it boots up probmptly every time I start-up. I don't want it at this time, and I can find no way to get rid of it. Please help.
I just noted that someone else has a similure problem. It was suggested to look if you have a MIrc shrotcut on yoru desktop and use properties to find it. I have no such short cut
Posted By: Poppy Re: v5.7 wont go away - 12/12/02 09:51 AM
It sounds like you have a trojan - you say you've checked in Add/Remove Programs and msconfig, but have you checked the registry for any traces? mIRC should NOT boot up like this. Make sure your anti-virus software is up to date, then run it. However, many of the anti-virus programs don't pick up IRC trojans, so you might want to do an online virus scan in addition, from www.trendmicro.com - and/or download 'The Cleaner' from www.simtel.net
Click on 'more info' on this page, that will give you a few useful url's too.
Posted By: Sojourn Re: v5.7 wont go away - 12/12/02 09:52 AM
If you installed in yourself, you can safely delete the c:\mirc or c:\program files\mirc directory and mIRC will be removed from your system. If it starts up when you boot your machine, and you didn't set it up that way, you are probably infected with a trojan virus. Check out ParaBrat's response in this thread for lots of resources on cleaning your system.
Posted By: Ford_Prefect2nd Re: v5.7 wont go away - 12/12/02 10:48 AM
Thanks to you both. To the one, as I say searching for MIRC revealed nothing so there is no folder called mirc. Mric seames to be installed directly into the system32 folder. Unfortunaly I have norton 2003 and updated and scanned with no results. I did eventually find the exe taskmngr, not a name I would have associated with a irc, but it did have the Mirc icon. It is now deleted, but deleting is a messy way of dealing with unwanted software, and is a good way of fragmenting an already unstable drive. The idea of a trojan is dicomforting, but One is hoping your specualtions are wrong and Norton did its job, it seams I have little option other than hope as I can think of little other option. If there is no Trojan and Mirc simply installed itself into the system32 directory with no uninstall option I think i will have to have a word with the writer of v5.7; I had already contacted him anyhow when I realized the extent of my problem. It SEAMS irrisponible software, but I could be off base. EIther way it makes me very leary of useing any IRC especailly Mirc in the future. Trillian is fine for chatting and though I was interested in the other advantages of IRC's for a future endeavor I think I shall take this as a warning, doubly so with my post being one of two similure complaints about it in less then 24 hours. Again though many thanks for your input and advise. I have been on a few boards in my net life asking for advise. This place seams to be a ying to places like Arstechnica's Yang. Imagine people actually trying to help people who ask for it. Merry Met and Merry Part and again thanks
Posted By: Ford_Prefect2nd Re: v5.7 wont go away - 12/12/02 11:00 AM
Back it up. It woudl seam that after reviewing Nortons logs it found 2 items it called IRC mimic! I think I shall alert the other peson who complained. You may not have saved my pc with your warning but it made me double check, perhaps you may save his. I'm sure he will be greatful
Posted By: Ford_Prefect2nd Re: v5.7 wont go away - 12/12/02 11:17 AM
Taskmngr.exe is actually Mirc32.exe version 5.7. The Trojan uses this file to run all of its mIRC scripts, including Dll32.hlp, Dll32NT.hlp, Xvpll.hlp, Httpsearch.ini, and NT32.ini.

The Trojan uses its scripts to attempt to obtain administrator-level access to remote Microsoft Windows environments that

THATS IT THATS EXACTLY IT!!!!

There are more then a few. I seam to have a minimum of 13 viruses under three headings. The definition above is from Norton itself.
I posted this for the other fella, I hope he reads it! Again your mention of trojan had me double check my logs. He owes you a big debt. Again amazing...a Board were people are not jstu refraining from being jack ass' but acctually try and help. Your a credit to chat boards.
Posted By: Poppy Re: v5.7 wont go away - 12/12/02 12:21 PM
Glad to help smile
I'd still recommend downloading 'The Cleaner' or 'Swat It' - these programs are specifically for trojan detection, and should be run in addition to your regular anti-virus software. It's just a shame that some people have way too much time on their hands to create these backdoors and trojans in the first place. It's an even bigger shame that being caught by one (or more) of them put people off using mIRC, or any other IRC client. All you can do is be vigilant and take appropriate security measures with your firewall and anti-virus software.
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: v5.7 wont go away - 12/12/02 05:25 PM
Glad to hear you solved your problem smile

As a note of warning, these trojans/virii are happening to so many ppl because they accept/open files from total strangers, or click on urls that infect them. Also, as has been said, many of the standard virus scanners arent as good at catching IRC related nasties as some like the trendmicro housecall ones are, so to be on the safe side, i'd try running one of those as well.

I'm especially glad you now realize the author of mIRC isnt to blame, nor is the real mIRC itself smile
© mIRC Discussion Forums