mIRC Homepage
Posted By: tuzgi mIRC 6.15 and "ö", "ä", "å" - 04/06/04 12:10 AM
HI, i got this weird problem with "ä", "ö" and "å". When i write word with some of those letters, it will show to me like they should, but to other users will be seeing those as "$Bhf(Bn" or "$BgZ(B". What i should do to fix this problem? smile
Posted By: Sais Re: mIRC 6.15 and "ö", "ä", "å" - 04/06/04 05:38 AM
This seems to be a problem in encoding/decoding multi-byte characters.

If you turn off the SJIS/JIS conversion option, it seems to work OK.

Obviously that's an immediate workaround solution. It would seem that something has gone awry with the SJIS encodings.
Posted By: Rounin Re: mIRC 6.15 and "ö", "ä", "å" - 04/06/04 01:47 PM
Not really. SJIS/JIS conversion is meant to convert the text you enter into tbe buffer, so this is not an error at all. The fact that other encodings are affected by the conversion as well as SJIS is a consequence of the fact that the encodings shaer the same bits.
Posted By: Sais Re: mIRC 6.15 and "ö", "ä", "å" - 04/06/04 04:05 PM
I just did some testing on my own - I now agree with rounin...it seems that 6.15 is handling the conversion correctly, it's 6.14 and irssi (rather, the term in which irssi is running) that aren't handling the SJIS properly. (See screen shot below)

I can imagine that it would also useful if there was an easy on/off feature - for those who talk in multple languages. And perhaps some sort of indicator - since if it gets enabled by accident, you don't realise that the recipents of your messages are receiving (apparently) garbage.

I notice this item in versions.txt:
15.SJIS/JIS support is now only automatically enabled when first running mIRC on a multi-byte SJIS/JIS system.

I do have the Japanese IME installed (as opposed to running a Japanese version of windows) - I guess this is why it got enabled by default on my system...

Posted By: Rounin Re: mIRC 6.15 and "ö", "ä", "å" - 04/06/04 10:39 PM
There is an encoding that supports a plethora of languages that can be used on Windows 2000 and XP, and on IRC. However, most of the threads about this are filled with me trolling and then getting flamed, so you're better off not reading through it all.

It has a few problems: Namely, they hate it in Japan, it's not supported properly in Windows 95 and 98, and it's more difficult to implement than other encodings.

It does one thing very well though: It eliminates the conflicts between Japanese characters and Scandinavian characters.

For the sake of honesty, I should mention that I'm on this board specifically to promote this encoding.
© mIRC Discussion Forums