mIRC Homepage
Posted By: keyman Op status - 17/05/04 08:50 PM
I am trying to register a channel in Mirc but it tells me i need op status. When I try the Identify command it says invalid password but i have never registered a password.
Help please.
Thank you
Posted By: Cobra Re: Op status - 17/05/04 09:02 PM
for the record, this is not a mIRC issue, its a server issue.

most servers require you to be an op in a channel before your permited to register it, most of those same networks will make it so that if you join an empty unregistered channel, you become the channel op, being the only person there and the chan being unowned.

so to get op in the chan u wish to register (asuming its not registered already)

simply join it when no one else is there.

most networks will require you to have a registered nick before u can register a channel though .. so thats somethign to think about if u dont have a registered nickname.

Cobra^
Posted By: Mentality Re: Op status - 17/05/04 09:11 PM
Added note:

Those messages 99% of the time come from Services called 'NickServ' and 'ChanServ'. As Cobra pointed out, they are for that specific network/server, and not related to mIRC, mIRC is simply a client which connects you to the IRC network. Not all IRC networks have Services - others that do may not have NickServ/ChanServ, but "service bots", usually represented by a single letter, such as 'Q', 'L' or 'X'.

For NickServ/ChanServ help you can almost always use /msg nickserv help or /msg chanserv help. Some networks have disabled this for security purposes, so /nickserv help and /chanserv help (Note that there is no /msg) may only work.

The best place to obtain help with Services for your network is to join the #Help channel with /join #Help, and ask there. Alternatively, check out the network's website - you could ask #Help what the website address is if you don't know it, or search for it with a search engine such as Google.

Have fun smile

Regards,
© mIRC Discussion Forums