mIRC Homepage
The problem is as follows:

there is a file in the C: root called progra, When deleted, it is recreated. I have checked my system thoroughly, and no viruses were found. When I opened the file in notepad, there were 694 lines in it that say

ctcp_catcher($1-)

Now because $1- is an identifier used in mIRC, I was thinking that maybe mIRC is creating this file. I searched my scripts, but nothing was found that could either write to C:\Program, or write the text to the file.

Does anyone here know if this is indeed caused by mIRC, or if it is something else?
Upgrading the "may not be" to "probably not" -- the two problems have something to do with eachother. If the C:\Program is not there, ACDSee doesn't have a problem. I still wonder tho. I closed a few mIRCs, and restarted them and now it's not coming back. Also Housecall found the virus reported in other threads while other AV scanners didn't.
Posted By: Watchdog Re: weird problem (may not be mirc related) - 03/04/04 11:10 AM
Not me.
housecall doesn't find a virus for me or a few of my friends, maybe it isn't a false positive after all.
I don't get it anymore, but I used to get a security notice telling me a file had been created called C:\Program and that it needs to be renamed to C:\Program1 so that it doesn't effect other programs. I would get several of these, I got up to C:\Program8 eventually.

I too ran several virus/trojan scanners, all coming up clean. I don't know what I did for it to stop happening, but I've been clean from that notice for about a month.

Regards,
when that happened to me i just noticed it was a script trying to write to $scriptdir without quotes or $shortfn, so it only got to the "c:\program" part of "c:\program files\...."
But would that be affected upon logging on to Windows? (i.e. I hadn't even started mIRC)

Regards,
if the script writes to c:\program and then you restart your pc, windows will notice the file and prompt you to rename it.
Ohhhh, duh!

Looking back, given that I have unloaded scripts since then and moved folders around etc, that is likely what happened. Kthx <G>

Regards,
Sounds exactly what I had - with the only difference being all my scripts use relative paths, no $scriptdir anywhere... But I'll start combing through my code just to make sure.
Posted By: sparta Re: weird problem (may not be mirc related) - 04/04/04 09:06 AM
i had the same problem befor, and my problem was that i had a "copy" in my script.. and everytime that executed it did copy, but it write the stuff it copyed to a file called progra, the right path for it was program files, and my problem was a missing flag in the copy line.. dont know if this helps u tho :tongue:
© mIRC Discussion Forums