mIRC Homepage
I did a search on connecting but all the posts i found said stuff i didnt understand. I used to have irc on my old comp and it worked fine.. then on this comp i had the older version and it worked fine but hubby said i didnt use it enough so he uninstalled the old version.. i now have the 6.14 version and i cant connect.. been trying all afternoon cause i thought it was just busy but still no luck ...

it says::: unable to connect to server connection timed out

and it says:::closing link tc4jeremy [unknown@67.140.201.147] (unauthorized connection)

all this is jibberish to me... i dowloaded from this site and everything so dont understand how i can be unauthorized connection when im just using it the way they have the settings. Can some one explain in idiots terms for me...

Im on win xp my pc has 30 gb of space and hardly anything on it.. im on dsl through my phone company and other than that im an idiot and dont know what to tell you :-(
First of all, you're not an idiot! You can't be expected to know things randomly, none of us were born with the skill to understand how IRC works, mainly because IRC wasn't even invented when we were born!

Let's try to edjumacate you though!

[unknown@67.140.201.147]

The "unknown" part is your IdentD. You can find out about IdentD on DALnet's Ident FAQ. You can get info on enabling IdentD in this thread.

Is your IdentD set as "unknown"? To find out, when in mIRC, type /IdentD on - it should have something like this:

IdentD is on (word-here)

The "word-here" is what your IdentD is set to. If it does not say "unknown" then that MIGHT be the problem, but I don't think it's likely. It could be that the server is not getting a reply from you for it's Ident request and therefore, is not allowing you on. I refer you back to the "enable identd" thread I linked to earlier.

The "67.140.201.147" is called your IP and it means Internet Protocol. It's basically just a number which personally identifies your computer/connection. This does not effect you.

The "unauthorized connection" bit is the error message which the server is disconnecting you with. I am not familiar with this and, like you, couldn't turn anything up in the Forums, so I don't know exactly why you're getting it. It could be the IdentD issue.

Try other networks and see if they allow you to connect. For example:

/server irc.quakenet.org
/server serverpronto.dal.net
/server irc.undernet.org

If all 3 of those don't allow you to connect, then it is definitely *your* end that is the problem and not just some network security setting. This is unlikely to occur though.

The "unable to connect to server connection timed out" error is explained in this post.

Although not an exact phrase match, the explanation on this page may be relevant to you:

"YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO USE THIS SERVER
Unable to connect - Connection refused.

This means you do not have access to this server. The server has no instructions to let you in (I-line) or it refuses all access for maintnance purposes. Try another server on the same IRC network, preferably a more nearby server, one in your own country or one provided by your own Internet Provider. If you think you should have access to this server contact the administrator of the server and request for an I-Line for the host/IP number that you are trying to connect from."

I think the best advice would be to contact the network's administration. Check out their website. If you don't know their website, then search Google with the search term set as the network's name, it should turn something up. Look for an email to contact.

Hope this has helped and not confused you smile - and good luck!

Regards,
you are awesome! i used a diff server and follwed some instructions in the posts you showed i am online tytyty ur the best :-)
lol, glad you got back on smile - no problemo!

Regards,
© mIRC Discussion Forums