mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Southwest Downloading a book - 23/12/03 08:21 PM
I'm a new user; I read all of the FAQ; I asked to fine books with Mike Hammer in it; I got two answers; I decided to download this one guy's total book inventory; that worked fine. When I selected a book title and pasted it in the command line nothing happens. I don't get a message or anything. I'm confused about the proper procedre. TIA
Posted By: Mentality Re: Downloading a book - 24/12/03 01:50 AM
I'm not understanding fully, sorry. Could you try elaborate on what the problem is - i.e. what is the "command line" you refer to - are you trying to download using XDCC bots or Fserves? (No, I'm not going to lecture you, it's a legitimate use it would seem!).

Might also help to know what mIRC version you're using, what Operating System you're using and any other info you may think is relevant.

Regards,
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Downloading a book - 24/12/03 06:34 AM
you might also want to read mIRC;s help file on fservs (in any mIRC window type /help file server or /help /fserv) so you will better understand how they work. Another thing to try asking the sender for some help in case he is having some problems or has a script with different requirements.
Posted By: Southwest Re: Downloading a book - 24/12/03 03:05 PM
Since I'm a new user I believe I have the latest Mirc i.e. 612 and I use xpPro...in reading the Intro to Mirc it called the space at the bottom of the screen 'the command line'...so I typed in this space @find Mike Hammer and I got two responses on the scrolling screen above...then I copied and pasted a request for the book file into the 'command line' and I got the file immediately ...no problem everything was automatic...but when I ask for a specific book by copying and pasting into the command line nothing happens...no contact with the guy with the book...why?
Posted By: Mentality Re: Downloading a book - 24/12/03 03:13 PM
Well without knowing the commands that you've been asked to type/paste it's a bit hard.

The messages from XDCC bots usually ask you to request "packs", so something like /msg XDCCBotNickname get MikeHammer P3 or words to that effect. Other times you may have to wait for the bot to DCC chat you, and then use the commands in the DCC chat window to request a file.

If it's an Fserve, it's likely that the person sending the messages isn't a bot, but rather a real person. In that case, try messaging them. You can check their idle time with /whois nickname nickname. The longer the idle time, the more likely it is that their away from the computer.

It could be a problem or bug with the Fserve script that is making it not send, in which case that isn't yours or the senders fault, but the author of the script their using.

Either way, there's not much we can do this side, it seems to be all down to the sender or their script rather than a problem with settings you have. To echo what ParaBrat posted, make sure you read /help /fserve it's a good help file.

G'luck, and I hope when you do get it, it's a good read =)

Regards,
Posted By: Sarky Re: Downloading a book - 26/12/03 09:26 AM
Almost certainly you were placed in a queue. Normally, servers allow you to download the file list immediately but if you want to download anything else you have to queue. Enter the line into the command box as you did and just idle in the channel for a couple of hours, the book will be sent when you reach the front of the queue.

John.
© mIRC Discussion Forums