mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Arachnid will mIRC run on linux! - 28/10/03 05:17 AM
i was wondering if mIRC happens to work on linux. my dad is sick and tired of windows and is getting e to switch to linux nd i was wondering if mIRC will work on there if you can help just reply ty laugh
Posted By: CtrlAltDel Re: will mIRC run on linux! - 28/10/03 05:36 AM
Read This thread
Posted By: Raccoon Re: will mIRC run on linux! - 28/10/03 05:47 AM
I understand that mIRC is very compatible under Linux with Wine, and perhaps any other Windows Emu like Virtual PC on the MAC.
Posted By: Sais Re: will mIRC run on linux! - 28/10/03 12:39 PM
Wine is not (an) Emulator ;P ( http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-faq/index#IS-WINE-AN-EMULATOR )
Posted By: Raccoon Re: will mIRC run on linux! - 28/10/03 01:55 PM
Yeah yeah... and LAME Aint an MP3 Encoder. :tongue:

All that FAQ states is that WINE doesn't emulate the x86 hardware, but it does emulate the Windows API which is the heart of Windows and its GUI. Emulation means to simply reverse engineer something and reproduce it outside of its usual constraints. WINE does this well.

I will however correct my statement about "Other Windows Emu's like Virtual PC"... as VPC actually emulates the x86 hardware allowing you to install a real copy of Windows. blush

- Raccoon
Posted By: wolf555 Re: will mIRC run on linux! - 03/11/03 05:32 AM
N/P running mIRC on linux.. I'm running linux mandrake 8.2 and using mIRC.. In fact depending on what flavor of linux you run -- mIRC should be built in..If you have any questions E-Mail me. Will help..
Posted By: Collective Re: will mIRC run on linux! - 03/11/03 05:35 AM
RedHat 9 doesn't come with mIRC, neither does SuSe 8.2. I've never heard of a distro that does.

Are you sure you're not confusing mIRC with other clients such as xchat?
© mIRC Discussion Forums